Hot Rod Forum banner

SPI Universal clear....WOW

29K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  shine 
#1 ·
First time spraying the SPI clear on a 54 Eldorado and I must say its everything I have heard it was if not more. I have always used concept 2021 clear and this stuff is not even comparible. Very IMPRESSED!!!

#6 ·
Lets see, first off the car is a cream white so not really a color your gonna notice a lot of depth in, but I must say this, 2 weeks ago sprayed a black 55 chevy with the 2021 and even on a black car the depth of the clear on that versus the depth on the white is definetly deeper on the white. Both cars are side by side, both cars were done with concept single stage and cleared 2 hours later and everyone who sees it can see a difference. Flowout definately better as well, and dont get me wrong have used PPG 2021 on most of the cars I do and have been happy with it. Just figured I would give the SPI a shot to see how it was after hearing all the positive feedback about it. And I think this is the clear I will be using from now on.

#7 ·
obviously this is just bandwagon snake oil stuff!! :rolleyes:

Glad you finally tried it and are impressed. The DOI of the spi clear is just amazing. When you cut and buff, you will love it even more. Of course, i'm just on the bandwagon..i surely dont know what i'm talkin about as I only use this stuff everyday on multiple high-dollar restos..... :rolleyes:

:D

post up some pics!!

#8 ·
Im shooting SPI Universal clear out of a Finishline III with a 1.3 tip and its splaterring the clear. Ive played with the adjustments on the gun and no luck. I also switched to another cheap gun with a 1.4 tip and same results.
What are you guys shooting the SPI clear with? Are you guys reducing it? The tech sheet recommends that you use 1.4 tip but by seeing how thick this stuff is seems like it either needs to be reduced or a bigger tip. any suggestions?

Even with the splattering Im able to cut and buff to get rid of the orange peel but in some corners I just cant get to it.

Does anyone out there know how this clear will stand up leaving the car outdoors for a extended period of time?

#9 ·
jeremyb said:
obviously this is just bandwagon snake oil stuff!! :rolleyes:

Glad you finally tried it and are impressed. The DOI of the spi clear is just amazing. When you cut and buff, you will love it even more. Of course, i'm just on the bandwagon..i surely dont know what i'm talkin about as I only use this stuff everyday on multiple high-dollar restos..... :rolleyes:

:D

post up some pics!!
What system are you suing to cut and buff SPI clear?

#10 ·
i use an iwata w400lv 1.4 for spraying. Unreduced. Just mix 1-1 with activator.

Depending on the job at hand, i start cutting with 800 or 1000. Work my way up to 3000 trizact and use mequiars diamond cut compound and a wool pad.

I let the car sit in the sun a full day before cutting, then let it sit another full day after the initial 800-1000 cut.

this is after just the wool pad.

#11 ·
i use a Devilbiss Millenium GTI with a 1.4 and it lays the UV clear 1-1 out almost like glass.

are you moving to fast??

the UV clear is the easiest clear i have ever sprayed,very little learning curve and i have shot many different types and Brands of clear.

Travis...

#13 ·
Im not an expert and do not have much experience shooting clears. Im just wondering if I need more PSI. I noticed that when I use the PSI setting recommended by the gun it barely shoots paint. When I increase the psi a bit seems to work fine. Will this PSI effect the finish and create orange peel in the clear. I noticed by watching some videos of people shooting clear its shoots very misty. Maybe Im laying too thick.. Im going to test and adjust my gun before starting next time. I just purchases a gun with 1.4 tip

#16 ·
jeremyb said:
i use an iwata w400lv 1.4 for spraying. Unreduced. Just mix 1-1 with activator.

Depending on the job at hand, i start cutting with 800 or 1000. Work my way up to 3000 trizact and use mequiars diamond cut compound and a wool pad.

I let the car sit in the sun a full day before cutting, then let it sit another full day after the initial 800-1000 cut.

this is after just the wool pad.

Now that is sexy, how many coats total is that?

#17 ·
67Elcamino said:
Im not an expert and do not have much experience shooting clears. Im just wondering if I need more PSI. I noticed that when I use the PSI setting recommended by the gun it barely shoots paint. When I increase the psi a bit seems to work fine. Will this PSI effect the finish and create orange peel in the clear. I noticed by watching some videos of people shooting clear its shoots very misty. Maybe Im laying too thick.. Im going to test and adjust my gun before starting next time. I just purchases a gun with 1.4 tip
crank the air up to 25-30 at the inlet to the gun. Better yet toss the gun in the garbage and get a top end gun.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/picking-spray-gun-198570.html

#18 ·
panelwagon62 said:
Now that is sexy, how many coats total is that?
3 coats of universal, cut with 800 all the way to 3000.

get those factory gun air pressure settings out of your head. no 2 clears spray the same. i'm at about 28-30 on my w400.

just a side note, w400 is my main clear gun but on that vette i did use my lph400 1.4 because the w took a dump on me at that particular time. They both lay the clear great, just the w400 is faster and fits my style better.

#20 ·
bighotroddin said:
Where can you get the SPI clear at and whats the price?

I have been usinf Acme Finish 1 clear made by Sherwin Williams for a while now since Finish master stopped selling Smart brand clear. Workes great for the used cars. On the other stuff I use Deltron DC 4000.
Call them and see if you have a local vendor. If they do not have one near you they will ship direct to your door - no shipping charges!

SPI 706-781-2220

Visit their website: http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

#25 ·
OK,I'm in ....SPI universal clear over Blk chroma base...Before cut & buff..
Lot car...SPI again over RED Nason ful base..no cut & buff....and they say Nason cant be blended.. :confused:
I started using SPI about seven yrs ago because of the price.since then I've tried most of thier products,they all preform well at a good price but thier clear and epoxy primer stand head and shoulders above the rest at ANY price...Theres only a few companies that have earned this amount of praise but of them SPI is at the top and I havent even gotten into thier service at all ...even if the clear and epoxy was just average the sales and service alone is enough to have me hooked.....

Attachments

#26 ·
...even if the clear and epoxy was just average the sales and service alone is enough to have me hooked.....
DITTO from Dallas. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I just finished swapping emails with Barry re compatability of SPI Universal Clear with a water based 100% Acrylic Base Coat (it is - with a little common sense), and it is SUNDAY!! :cool: :cool:

Try THAT with some of the other guys!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.