Spider Problem under carriage and under hood of car! Help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Ambition is a dream with a V8

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spider Problem under carriage and under hood of car! Help!

Okay, so I noticed I've had webs under the hood and webs on around the bottom outside of the car, I just bought this car about 2 weeks ago and it sat in the previous owners back yard for about 5 years, enough time to infest the car with spiders, They are black widow spiders (and are poisonous) I didn't find it to be a problem until today when I was checking the oil a huge black widow came crawling up my arm its friggin' annoying, I have cleaned the inside continuously and tried spraying the undercarriage with a waterhose, every time I see a web I try and get rid of them, but the next morning there they are again! I've killed over 7 black widows and I know there are more! Has anyone else had this problem?

Any idea how to destory all of these you-know-whats?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 AM

Last photo:

I have but it was those damn stink bugs! Everywhere on the interior even under the dash!! I would suck em up with the shop vac everyday.
Check in to getting a few of the bombs like you use on fleas and bomb the hell out of the garage!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think what I would do is to get a large roll of plastic sheeting..enough to cover the whole car as in a tent and then set off some of those bug bombs under the tent..you can get the bug bombs at the hardware store..

Sam
Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Spiders are soooooo gross. My least favorite creature. I would suggest luring them all out with a treat and then attacking them with carb cleaner and a lighter.

In all seriousness, I'd suggest using a bug bomb and then finishing up with a can of raid. Or if you're really scared of spiders you can just get a friend to finish up with a can of raid. That's what I'd do.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You can do a lot of things that won't work. To kill the black widow, you have to hit them with a spray, they are not bothered by residual. To make them leave, treat the car with something oily that they won't like, maybe some orange oil based cleaner. Spray the underside of the car and the hood. Black widows like dark moist places to hide, they are hard to be rid of. I know they don't like diesel but that would make quite a mess.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
Spiders are soooooo gross. My least favorite creature. I would suggest luring them all out with a treat and then attacking them with carb cleaner and a lighter.

In all seriousness, I'd suggest using a bug bomb and then finishing up with a can of raid. Or if you're really scared of spiders you can just get a friend to finish up with a can of raid. That's what I'd do.
hahaha, you read my mind with your first suggestion!

just kidding, I think I am going to go for the bug bomb effect and try and finish of the little buggers with raid if I have too...
Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
You can do a lot of things that won't work. To kill the black widow, you have to hit them with a spray, they are not bothered by residual. To make them leave, treat the car with something oily that they won't like, maybe some orange oil based cleaner. Spray the underside of the car and the hood. Black widows like dark moist places to hide, they are hard to be rid of. I know they don't like diesel but that would make quite a mess.

Ooo I had no idea, maybe bombing the car wont do anything, I don't want to do all that work of covering the car and bombing the car and it not work...I'll look into finding some orange oil based cleaner first.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by armentrout
I have but it was those damn stink bugs! Everywhere on the interior even under the dash!! I would suck em up with the shop vac everyday.
Check in to getting a few of the bombs like you use on fleas and bomb the hell out of the garage!!!
ew, those creatures sure are no fun! Thanks for the help ! I hope that those stink bugs stayed away...Any bugs in any car gets annoying!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

My car had so many black widow spiders that I was thinking of calling it that.
I toasted them with a propane torch.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If you tent the vehicle and set off multiple bombs- you have in essence MADE a bomb! The propellants of a lot of those bug bombs is (was) flammable, so be damned careful w/kids fooling around, water heaters, shorts making a spark, etc. when you remove the covering.

In a high enough concentration (like while sealed up under the sheeting) the a/f ratio may (or may not) be too rich to explode. But add some O2, and look out!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Used to use the bombs in my homes in Fla about every 6 months. We would place one in each room and set them off while getting out as quickly as possible. We would come back about 8 hours later and air out the mess. NEVER thought about this being an explosive mixture. We never killed the power, thus hot water heater, air handling system and other normal electrical items were switching on and off as normal. Did we dodge a big one?

Trees
Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Used to use the bombs in my homes in Fla about every 6 months. We would place one in each room and set them off while getting out as quickly as possible. We would come back about 8 hours later and air out the mess. NEVER thought about this being an explosive mixture. We never killed the power, thus hot water heater, air handling system and other normal electrical items were switching on and off as normal. Did we dodge a big one?

Trees
I doubt the size of the enclosure you were dealing with would allow for a combustible mixture to have been created, as long as you followed the directions or at least didn't triple the recommended amount or something like that.

But that said, there HAVE been reports of homes being quite literally blown to hell and back by the improper use of these bombs.

In the case of a tented car w/several bombs, the concentration could produce an explosive mixture under the right (wrong?) conditions, and that would be my concern.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I doubt the size of the enclosure you were dealing with would allow for a combustible mixture to have been created, as long as you followed the directions or at least didn't triple the recommended amount or something like that.

But that said, there HAVE been reports of homes being quite literally blown to hell and back by the improper use of these bombs.

In the case of a tented car w/several bombs, the concentration could produce an explosive mixture under the right (wrong?) conditions, and that would be my concern.

Definitely don't want that, I killed 4 more today, I still haven't made up my mind on a sure way to get rid of 'em, they are pretty much spread out all under the car and hiding in every dark place of under the hood... Guess I'll just have to be careful where I stick my hands while working, or wear gloves and long sleeves to prevent getting bit.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlemissV8
Definitely don't want that, I killed 4 more today, I still haven't made up my mind on a sure way to get rid of 'em, they are pretty much spread out all under the car and hiding in every dark place of under the hood... Guess I'll just have to be careful where I stick my hands while working, or wear gloves and long sleeves to prevent getting bit.
I have been bit by a black widow . Aching chills all over ,every joint hurt , cold sweat . Shivering cold . Could not get warm no matter how many blankets. Was bit in my sleep. Found the bite mark next morning. Didn't know what was going on 'till then
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
I have been bit by a black widow . Aching chills all over ,every joint hurt , cold sweat . Shivering cold . Could not get warm no matter how many blankets. Was bit in my sleep. Found the bite mark next morning. Didn't know what was going on 'till then

Oh man, that's not good at all, good to know you are fine now though! Here's to hoping I don't get bit anytime soon! lol

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.