Hot Rod Forum banner

Spin On Oil Filter Adapter 1964 Impala 327ci

21K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  oldog 
#1 ·
Switching over to a "spin on oil filter adapter" from stock canister setup.

Does the stock setup include a "bypass valve" that can be
used on the new adapter? Or will I have to purchase a new valve?

Should I even be concerned about using a "bypass valve"? If not, how do you eliminate or block it?

Year: 1964
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Engine: 327ci

#2 · (Edited)
You must retain the existing by-pass valve adapter that is bolted to the block. The Mr. Gasket 1270 conversion kit includes two longer 5/16" bolts that go through the by-pass valve adapter and the spin on oil filter adapter and seals both adapters to the block.

On my '62 Chevrolet 327 engine, I used the Mr. Gasket 1270 spin-on oil filter adapter and a WIX 51061 spin-on oil filter.

#3 ·
If you do not have your canister filter by-pass valve adapter, you must get another one at a auto salvage yard or from e-bay. The canister filter by-pass valve adapters have been discontinued for several years.

Do not confuse the canister filter by-pass valve adapter with the spin on filter by-pass valve adapter. The canister filter by-pass valve adapter does not have a 13/16" nipple fitting for a spin-on filter. The spin-on filter by-pass valve adapters are still available from any Chevrolet dealership parts department.

#4 ·
To my astonishment, I found out today that the 1956-1967 canister oil filter bypass adapter is still available from any Chevrolet dealership parts department. It is part number 5573979. Apparently it is a popular item or GM would have discontinued it long ago.

You must retain this canister oil filter bypass adapter of you install a Mr. Gasket 1270 or a Trans Dapt 1059 spin on oil filter adapter.

#6 · (Edited)
You can block the bypass valve but you must still retain the bypass adapter so the spin on filter adapter will fit correctly without any leaks. Why would you want to block the bypass valve?

The bypass is a "safety valve" and it begins to open when the oil flow exceeds the ability of the oil filter to pass the oil. I feel like it is better to run the engine on dirty bypassed oil rather than no oil at all. The oil filter bypass spring allows the bypass valve to gradually open at 8-11 PSID (differential) pressure. Differential pressure is the difference between the inlet pressure and outlet pressure. The bypass valve begins to open and will allow unfiltered oil to flow into the engine if the filter is clogged or the engine RPM is above 4000 RPM.

I ran a blocked bypass valve years ago when I could still get Lee two-stage oil filters. The Lee two-stage "street and strip" oil filters went out of production about 20 years ago when low restriction oil filters were introduced that were designed for racing only. Lee two-stage oil filters had a low restriction portion and a normal portion in one filter so you could run a blocked bypass and still have some filtration at high RPM. You can use a Trans Dapt 1024 spin on oil filter adapter and use Fram PH8A or WIX 51515 filter. Those filters and other filters like them, are equipped with a bypass in the filter that allows unfiltered oil to enter the engine at high RPM or when the filter is clogged. The Trans Dapt 1024 spin on filter adapter has a 3/4"-16 nipple fitting and GM oil filters have a 13/16"-16 threads. GM engines are designed with a bypass valve attached to the engine block so they do not require a bypass in the filter.

Racing engines use low restriction oil filters such as WIX Racing oil filters. They have a high flow rate at high RPM. The racing oil filters are not recommended for a daily driver because those filters have a filter media that only filters down to 40 micron. Racing engines usually have fresh oil in the engines with no particle build up. Therefore the filters with a 40 micron media have a higher flow rate compared to passenger car oil filters that have a 20 micron filter media.

#7 ·
Follow-up Question(s)

ok, I was able to locate & purchase the oil filter conversion kit at my local auto store: mr. gasket #1270

In the attached pic, there are 2 rubber gaskets included in the kit, will I need those for my application?
(The new oil filter I purchased is already supplied with it's own rubber gasket.)

There is also a small tube of what appears to be a lubricant, how is this product to be used?

Attachments

#8 ·
1. Remove the old canister oil filter assembly and bypass pate. Thoroughly clean the oil filter cavity in the block with solvent. Make certain the old o-ring gasket is removed completely.
2. Place Loctite 271 high strength stud and bearing mount on the 13/16-16 oil filter nipple fitting and screw it into the Mr Gasket adapter plate by hand.
3. Install the small Mr. Gasket adapter plate o-ring gasket between the adapter plate and the bypass plate.
4. Install the large o-ring gasket smoothly against the perimeter of the oil filter cavity in the block. After the adapter and bypass assembly is installed, the o-ring will be in the gap between the bypass plate and the block, just like it fit with the canister type filter. Pack the o-ring tightly against the block with grease, make sure it is not twisted and it is smooth and even.
5. Hold the bypass plate and the adapter plate together in one hand and place them against the block in the oil filter cavity, position the adapter and bypass assembly until the bolt holes are aligned with the bolt holes in the engine block. Be sure the large o-ring and the gasket between the bypass plate and adapter plate is still in place and are not misaligned or twisted.
6. Install the two supplied 1/4"-20 bolts through the adapter and bypass plate assembly and into bolt holes in the block. Use Loctite 242 blue on the bolt threads. Carefully tighten the bolts to no more than 120 in./lb. (10 ft./lb.) torque. Over tightening can damage or crack the aluminum adapter or bypass.
7. Spin on a AC PF-25, AC PF-454, Fram PH-13, Purolater TF-141, WIX-51061 or NAPA-1061 oil filter. Tighten the 1/2 turn after the adapter contacts the oil filter gasket.

Spare O-rings can be purchased from Chevrolet dealership but it is not necessary to replace those O-rings unless they are leaking. They will get hard and brittle over a period of time. The large o-rings were also used to seal the top of the canister type filter housing.

The little tube of grease supplied in the kit is to use to hold the o-ring gaskets in place until the adapter plate is tightened. You can also use axle grease.

#10 ·
Correction on part number for the O-rings:

The 1956-1967 passenger car and 1956-1972 HD truck oil canister and spin-on oil filter adapter O-ring gasket is part #5573980 for a box of ten O-rings at a cost of $53.60 msrp at any GM dealership. You may get up to a 40% discount if you have a good buddy that works behind the parts counter. The oil canister O-ring gaskets are AC Delco G-348 if you can find a parts store that can order AC Delco parts. Only use the square-cut O-rings. Round O-ring gaskets will leak.

It may be wise good to keep a few of these O-rings on hand in case an oil leak. I never had a leak and I rarely changed the O-rung when I changed the canister filter on my 1956, 1957 and 1959 Chevrolets.

#12 ·
Yes....on a Mr. Gasket 1270 spin on filter conversion kit, the original canister O-ring seal is held in place
between the by-pass plate and the engine block. The O-ring should be replaced if there is any sign of a leak. The O-rings are still available from a GM dealer but cost about $50 for a pack of ten. You can buy a PF141 oil filter for three or four bucks that includes a new O-ring. Then toss the filter and use the O-ring.

#14 · (Edited)
The cannister O-ring will last indefinatly, if it installed correctly. I have at least ten oil changes on my 1962 Chevy 327/300 since March 2013 and it does not leak a drop.. The O-ring should be lubed with wheel bearing grease and pushed into the space between the by-pass plate and the engine block, the same way as if you still have a cannister type oil filter. The Mr. Gasket oil filter adapter plate seats on the O-ring and holds I it tight against the engine block. Make sure the O-ring goes in without being twisted.

Price update for the O-ring:
GM 5573980 .... $28.70 jobber price for package of ten
Corvette Central ......... $2.75 each

#15 ·
I have found that the easiest , if not the only way, to install the spin on oil filter adapter is to assemble the Chevy by-pass plate and Mr. Gasket spin on filter adapter and install them together as a unit.

Assemble the Mr. Gasket spin on adapter, the Chevy by-pass plate, the block to by-pass plate gasket, then place the O-ring around the outside of the by-pass plate, making sure it is not twisted and then hold the assembly together in one hand while you install the two bolts through the assembly and into the block with the other hand. Use a dab of wheel bearing grease to hold the O-ring and the block to by-pass plate gasket in place until you have tightened the two retaining bolts. When you have tightened the two longer retaining bolts, spin on the filter.

I have done it that way to every Chevrolet I have owned since 1962 and I have always used the Mr. Gasket 1270 spin on filter adapter kit.

#17 · (Edited)
If you leave out the by-pass plate, you will have a massive oil leak because there is nothing to hold the O-ring in place. The Mr. Gasket 1270 spin on filter adapter cannot be installed without the Chevy by-pass plate.

If you want to eliminate the by pass, knock out the by-pass assembly, tap the hole and screw in a Allen head pipe plug. Then the engine will run on filtered oil to 5,000 RPM and no oil above 5,000 RPM. The by-pass is designed to open at 25 PSID and allow unfiltered oil into the engine. The by-pass begins to open between 3500-4000 RPM and is fully open at 5,000 RPM. If the you block the by-pass, and are using a standard type oil filter, the engine will not be running on any oil above 5,000 RPM. WIX offers a low restriction-high flow oil filter but it must be changed every 500 miles. It has the part number with the suffix "R" , for racing only. It only filters to 40 microns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.