Hot Rod Forum banner

Spindle help

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jalopy45 
#1 ·
I`m attempting to install 2 inch drop spindles on my 86 cutlass supreme, I got shocks off, sway bar disconnected, steering arms off, rotor off, and I loosened the top and bottom spindle nuts and placed a jack under the lower control arm, I also have a real long steel bar down the shock hole through the middle of the coil spring to keep it from coming out. only problem is, the lower control arm and ball joint won`t come out of the spindle, top or bottom, I took the lower nut off and lowered the jack, no go, I replaced the nut just a couple of turns on and bumped the control arm with a sledge hammer, still no go. anyone got any suggestions on what I can do to get them out? I have kept lube sprayed on them and the sway bar end links in the control arm both broke off rather than removing the nut, but the car spent a lot of time in the northern states and everything is rusted on. I`m not much of a suspension guy but know the basics, any help is appreciated.

#3 ·
Doublevision;

I take it your going to replace the ball joint if they have been on the car that long so your not trying to save it, I use a ball joint seperater (pickle fork) in my air hammer, knock them right off.
You can also get them to use with a shop hammer. I`ve had to do it like your doing it,sometimes they are hard to knock lose.

Take a long pry bar insert right behind the ball joint on top of the lower control arm all the way to underneth the frame, you`ll be prying down on the control arm. leave the nut on like before, lower the jack just below the arm. pry down while someone uses the hammer on the control arm,just keep pounding it will come lose.same way on the upper ball joint, get to where you can pry on it while pounding with the hammer. HTH.

Troy;

#4 ·
Saving Ball joint

One way to save the ball joint if it is new, is to get a two arm gear puller, Hook the ears around the arm and use the center bolt to push the ball joint stud up.

Leave the nut ON so you will save the threads on the ball joint or tie rod end; works on both a lot of times.:)

#5 ·
Try smacking the knuckle (spindle) on the side with a decent sized hammer right where the balljoint stud passes through it. You can leave the nut on the balljoint if you like. If that don't get it, you can do like Troy curt said having someone pry down on the lower control arm while you whack the side of the knuckle with a hammer. :)

#6 ·
An old trick is to place a small sledge hammer on one side of the spindle where the ball joint sud comes thru and smack it on the opposite side with another sledge. The sudden impact will cause them to part. This works with ball joints and tie rod ends. It will cause no damage to the shafts!:pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.