Spindle mount rims on a street car? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spindle mount rims on a street car?

Hello
I am new to this forum and I have never posted a question yet.
I am building a 63 Corvette as a street/strip car. The front of the car is low enough that the tires don't clear the fenders well in a turn
I have spindle mount rims (15 x 3.5 Weld draglites) from a drag car I had built, but never did use the rims.
With the spindle mounts the track width is narrowed by about 1.75 inches per side, so it will allow for proper turning.
However , how the rotor attaches to the rim has me concerned. They work ok on a drag car, but I am looking for advice from anyone who may of done this, or thought of doing it on a street car (2 - 3,000 miles a year)
I do realize changing a tire would be a pain, since the caliper has to come off first, but I won't be carrying a spare anyway( cell phone and flat bed)
I would appreciate any input on this
Tom
btw: I did not ask Weld, since they don't reccomend this narrow a rim for the street

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Spindle mounts

Henny,

I did some research a while back regarding spindle mount wheels for the front of my '41 Willys street rod. I wanted to be different, so I thought spindle mounts & disc brakes would be cool.
But in all my research, I didn't find out too much on the subject. Basically I ran across the same things you did: the wheels are too narrow, which means a very small contact patch for the tire on the road, and the fact that the brake rotor must mount to the wheel.
It would seem that with the stopping power of the disc setup it would be real easy to lock up those skinny front tires. I never found a supplier that had any wider rims, in the 5 1/2" to 6" range, that would support a street-able tire.
I'm not sure, but I believe that the spindle itself is different also. If any one knows for sure I would like to know.
So....with all of that info piled up against the idea, I decided to go with a more traditional approach and use a 5 lug wheel. Sorry I couldn't offer more positive info.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

I'm slightly confused about this thread. Is the question, Can I put brakes on a spindle mount wheel or is it safe to drive a street car with a 1 3/4" wide tire on the street ?

The answer to the first question is .... Yes. In fact I've just finished a "How To" article on putting disc brakes on early American 12 spoke wheels.

The answer to the second question is..... No it's not the safest thing to run that narrow of tire on the street with a car that weighs over 1500 pounds.
But as far as braking goes, you can fine tune the brakes with an adjustable proportioning valve to keep from sliding the front brake. But you need to realize that by doing so, you have also minimized your braking capacity, which is not a good thing on the street.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I thought that was what I said...I guess I wasn't clear in my explanation.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

spindle mount rims

Hello
Thanks , Walt and Steve on your replies. I may of caused a little confusion in the measurements. The rims are 3.5 inches wide , but the spinndle mount rims make the track width of the front end narrower by 1.75 inches per side. The rim is still the same width, with the same front tire( I think 4 inch contact area ?)
I would like to know where I can get a copy of the article on the disc brakes on the early american 12 spoke rims.
I have a big tire on the rim( within the reccomendations of M/T for a regular 3.5 in rim)
The car originally had 5 in wide rims(GM) and to go wider than that can cause more clearance issues. The rim will hit the inner frame if it goes wider and is offset towards the frame
The rear tires are large. 19.5 X33 inch Mickey Thompsons which is the same size as a 14 x 32 in slick(strip use), so I need to have a proportioning valve set up properly
I got bearings to fit my spindle mounts. However, the outside bearing inside dimension is smaller by about .080. I am a tool and die maker,, so I will turn down the outside of the spindle and rethread it to .750 dia.( easy enough in the lathe)
Thank you for your help and I would like to find a copy of that article
Tom
Old 10-24-2005, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny496
Hello

Thank you for your help and I would like to find a copy of that article
Tom
The article hasn't been published yet and I'm not sure when it will be released but I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Walt
Old 10-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

I think it's time to stand back and review the problem. It appears that a piece of flimsy plastic is in the way of the mechanicals.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

fender trimming

Hello
Cutting the fender would detract from the overall look and is not an option.
thanks anyway
Tom
Old 10-26-2005, 01:39 PM

In my youth, seems like there were serveral articals on running narrow drag style front rims on the street, and the common item was breakage. The rims don't have enough side load strength to hold up. There was a pro street 55 or 57 Chevy that was doing one of those "street car" drags that had to drive 100 miles or so and he broke one of the front runners.

My 2 cents worth
Doug
Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 AM

Last photo:

rim breakage

Hello
I did a drag car many years ago and heard back then that some front rims were splitting in half ( dunno for sure under what conditions it happened)
With recent design changes I am not sure if that is as big an issue as it once was? Some of the new narrow rims that are that of a Weld Magnum, spindle mounts would not be a good choice for the street.......they look nice on a Pro Stocker although
The rims I have are Weld Draglites, but I like the look of the Pro Star and may go to that style.
This car is not going to be driven hard into corners, but will get the Hell beat out of it, in a straight line
thanks
Tom
Old 11-16-2005, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

spindle mount rims/brakes

Hello
I found a new set of Strange brakes for the spindle mount rims and asked Strange about the weight factor. This is their reply

Tom a spindle mount front brake kit is recommended for cars under 2600lbs. Seeing as that you car is 3000lbs i would not advise it for racing or for the street especially Thanks.

JIM BUSCHMAN

847-663-1701
EXT 4790

Back to the drawing board I guess. The rims are ok on the street, it is just the fact that I may not be able to put brakes on it that kind of screws up my plan
I guess I will be making shortened custom control arms now
Tom

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.