Spindles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spindles

The first pics are 37 to 41 spindles. Then I don't know,can anybody tell what they are?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2341.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	26262   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2342.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	26263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2343.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	26264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2345.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	26265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2346.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	26266  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

look like machined spindles for some different brake situp and the arms appear to be modified for dropped axle use.
Shane
Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 AM
31 five window

Last photo:

Shane, I agree that they do apear to be 37/41 spindles that where cut down possibly for old spindle mount wheels on a GASSER and the arms bent up because of how much they used to tilt the axle back or heavy castor,Maybe but I don't know.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:22 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Good point,If they have been machined for spindle mount wheels you could always sell them on the HAMB
Shane
Old 12-22-2007, 06:26 AM
31 five window

Last photo:

Yes probably but I don't know for sure what wheels fit and they must be aftermarket because 37 to 41 fords did not have the extra hole for cross steering.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
37 to 41 fords did not have the extra hole for cross steering.
You sure about that? Weren't they cross steer? My '41 coupe was, and I've got '37 spindles on my T Bucket and they have the double hole arm on the right side.

Bob
Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
37 to 41 fords did not have the extra hole for cross steering.
I believe that Ford had cross steering on the cars beginning in 1935.

The steering arm portion on the right spindle beginning in 1935 had two attachment points (tapered holes '37 -'48) for the tie rod ends.

The second set of spindles that you show appear to be modified '37-'41 Ford spindles.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:18 AM
31 five window

Last photo:

Then what are the first set without the cross steer hole? I don't know as much as I thought I did about old ford steering.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
All of the spindles are the same 37-41 Ford. They are just modified in different ways, neither set being original.

The ones on the left have had the boss for the drag link cut off. You can see a little bit of it is left on your right spindle. The end is round on the left one but has that little lump where the boss used to be on the right one. Then your other spindles still have the boss for the drag link but the arms are bent all to hell. "Machined", I think not, more like heated with a torch and bent. Why where they bent, who knows, but likely simply to clear something on a dropped car. But when you pick up something like that at a swap meet or something you really have no idea what it was used on being sooooooo many things have been done with the thousands upon thousands of these spindles that were made. For all you know those spindles were on an axle turned up side down on the front of a homemade or modified tractor.

I would NOT use them leaving those steering arms on, that is for sure! The metal could be SERIOUSLY compromised from the bending. I will NEVER drive a car using modified parts like that unless I did them and know they were done right. My brother had the right steering arms on one of these very spindles snap off his 39 Ford. It had been bent for a dropped axle. People will heat them up too hot, or not hot enough then quench them in water or oil thinking they will be "hardened" or all kinds of goofy things. Only to have a "honey comb" of metal that is waiting to break.

There are all kinds of bolt on forged steering arms for those spindles. Just cut those bent up ones off and use the bolt ons.

Brian
Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 AM
31 five window

Last photo:

MARTINSR,I was coming on to say after closer inspection I noticed it had been cut off. As for the bent pair I agree with cutting them off as you said. The machining mentioned earlier was about where the bearings go not the arms as the spindle shaft is about 1" shorter than normal.But everything else you said I agree with whole heartedly. Thanks a lot for your info.

Last edited by speedydeedy; 12-22-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Then what are the first set without the cross steer hole?
speedydeedy , it is easy for you younger guys to not be familiar with just what was used , modified or even available way back when. In some ways this is a good thing as many of the newest components are superior to what was used in the past.

For Ford cars; 1934 and older had "side" steering and did not have or need the extra hole for cross steering. I don't think Ford ever used what is referred to as "Tiller steering", but Henry may have in the very earliest models.

Many builders used "side" steering on their Hot Rods with later ('37-'48 Ford) spindles and cut the extra hole off the right side spindle to give the spindle a cleaner look since the hole was no longer needed.

Last edited by Frisco; 12-23-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 AM
31 five window

Last photo:

Frisco, Thanks you are right. My car was built in the 60s and had the side steer that is why the extra hole was cut off. I know this now and understand the differance. I am rebuilding the car with UNISTEER type cross steer and that is why I replaced the spindles and arms . Now I am set up right.Key still has the original axle and side steer so these spindles would work for him, The first ones not the bent arm ones .

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.