Hot Rod Forum banner

Spindles on straight axle

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TexasSpeed 
#1 ·
I've finally painted my Model A body, and am in the process of finishing the frame and chassis before final assembly.
This was a running/driving car that I dissasembled in April to paint and detail.

After my frame was sitting outside for 3 1/2 months, I began taking the steering apart for paint detail. The spindles are VERY hard to turn by hand, with nothing attached to them.

They aren't rusted or in bad shape, but they are stiff!

Question: How easy should they turn?

#4 ·
WOW Duece, All that chrome is blinding me in my living room!

That's the same set up as mine. They were greased but I may be underestimating the power of the worst four letter word there is R U S T

Maybe some penetrating oil and a full re-grease? Thanks.

#8 ·
Well it it supposed to work by taking out the kingpin retaining bolt and then sliding out the kingpin but then I can tell from sad and sorry experience it may not be the case..sometimes when those have been together for a long time the kingpin gets corroded and stuck in the axle boss and then it is a deal where the axle boss needs to be heated and the kingpin either pressed or driven out..Ran into that deal several times when servicing the kingpins on early fords and ford twin I beam axles..

Sam

#9 ·
After 6 hours, a lot of torch time, 1/2 can of penetraing oil, using a HUGE hammer, two trips to the suply stores, a smashed finger, and a gallon of water in the 105 degree heat, I got em out!

After a good wire brushing and lubing all parts, it as loose as a goose.

Whoever originally put it togther didn't grease them and niether did I. That'll never happen again around here!

Thanks all for the help. It's REALLY nice to have the help! :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.