Hot Rod Forum banner

Spiral retaining clips?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Steves66 
#1 ·
I am building a mopar 493 stroker and using Ross floating pistions with H beam rods. The pistons came with the pins and 32 spiral retaining clips. My question is, why so many clips? This is my first time using floating pistons and I would think that one on each side of the pin would be enough, but they sent me enough for two on each side! Is this what they call double locks? Please excuse my ignorance and thanks for the help. :welcome:

#2 ·
locks

Yep 2 per side...

If you would only install 1 per side it would allow the wrist pin to pound back and forth and more then likely beat one of the locks to death....resulting in a failure....

Keith

#5 ·
If this is your first time doing spiral locks, take some patient pills before you start. It really isn't that hard, but until you get the hang of it, is seems almost impossible. I will see if I can find a picture of how to hold them when installing them. Too hard to describe in words. Either way you look at it after 32 of them you will have tender fingers.

#6 ·
locks

Yea, Royce makes a good point. The first time with the spira-locks will result in bloody fingers for some guys,,,,you might want to get your spiderman bandaids ready..... One big help is to hold the piston, piston/rod combo solid some how so you can have both hands free.. I have soft jaws for my vise to hold the part in...Once you do a few you get "the feel" and they go good.....

If you need to remove them i use a small craftsman tune-up screwdriver with a small hook ground into the end....

Keith

#11 ·
FINISHED! :thumbup: Two cuts and three finger nails have a groove cut down the center! :pain: They say that these floating pistons have their advantages and one of them is being easy to put on and off the rod. Well to me easy is going to the machine shop and saying here take these off and put these on! :D Thanks guys for your help. :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.