split windshield center seam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

split windshield center seam

i need to install a windshield in a 37 ford. It will be a flush style installation using silicone and the S-10 pickup filler strip. I have done alot of flat 1 piece windshield in this way and have that part figured out. The part I have not done before is sealing the center seam in the 2 pieces of glass with silicone and getting it to look good. I was thinking of setting up the windshield in the opening, taping off the backside a little full to allow for a bead, then filling the seam with the silicone. This would allow me to tool the silicone into a decent looking bead before it sets up. After it cures I would peel the tape and continue with the installation. I have heard of some people laying the glass out flat and filling the seam before installation, but that sounds kind of shaky to me. I usually use CR Lawrence RTV 408 for this kind of work. It has worked well for me in the past. Any suggestions for a better way would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this.

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 09:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

On mine I just filled the seem then trimmed it with a razor blade after it was set up. Looks good to me and seemed to work fine.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:21 AM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

A trick I learned from my uncle to something similar to this. We had a bad storm back in kansas and it was while I was working for him at the his shop. Somebody had a camry that a pole fell on during the storm. The lady didnt have a lot of money, it had like 250 thousand miles on it, and it was just the extra car, her daughters school car, or something like that, cant remember. Basically, it was a cheap car that they didnt want to sink the cash in, and all that she needed done was to put another windshield in, and beat the panels back to fit so it is drivable again. This meant no moulding also, so he used a trick that he had to do on tour busses he worked on in the past, which didnt use mouldings around the windows.

He wouuld put down some 2 inch tape along the sides of where the moulding should be, finish filling it up with silicone, and use a bondo spreader and wipe it smooth. Peel back the tape, and it turnes out very clean, very factory looking in the end.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

I'd use windshield urethane around the perimeter and clear silicone on the center joint, tape on both sides of the joint and tool the bead so it doesn't have any airbubbles, then peel the tape, then let it setup overnight, then trim with a razor blade. Set the glass with urethane first though so the pieces aren't moving around while you do the center seam. Tape should hold it in place while the urethane cures. Just a suggestion, maybe you'll get a better one from someone else. TTT
Old 11-03-2005, 09:20 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have done a couple of windshields like this,, and its done just like BOB and the others decribed, except I had the glass beveled at the center joint for a FAIRLY tight fit,,[ you need a little gap in order for the silicone to fill] but if you already have the glass cut it is probably too small to bevel,, you can also finish the wet silicone to a smooth finish with a small smooth, putty knife dipped in solvent or mineral spirits, it leaves a more shiney finish than cutting it with a sharp knife, but either way will work,,, good luck,, BILL
Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

There are suppliers who make a 1 piece windshield for 37 fords....it is a V shape......and it eliminates the seam......

Old 11-03-2005, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

To fill the center strip get some silicone designed for aquariums. Available in most pet stores. Seals really well on glass and is a little more fluid than other types and after trimming with a razor blade is almost invisible. Over 3 years and no leaks.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.