spool on the street - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 07:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

spool on the street

is anyone running a spool on the street? it seems to be the cheapest way to go. i know it is going to cherp around corners but what about bends. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the street spool. if no spool on the street , then what? i am having a hard time figuring out where and what 35 spline carrier i need of want. oohh a have a dana 60.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

advantages- full time posi

disadvantages- worn tires, broken axles, loss of control and the list goes on and on

general consesus is a spool does not belong on the street.. ither a locker or a limated slip only if you want both tires to spin
Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtipper
what are the advantages and disadvantages of the street spool.
When you are driving on any path other than a perfectly straight line, the outer tire must travel farther than the inner tire just due to geometry. Since both tires are the same diameter (unless you have a dirt track car...), the outer tire must spin faster than the inboard to keep up. If you use a spool (or weld the gears), you've locked the two tires together so that they always turn at the same speed. When you go around a corner, one tire will be forced to drag or slip on the pavement (which is why it "chirps").

If the tire is slipping, it does not have traction. The result is that you now have one rear wheel doing the cornering instead of two. You are now twice as likely to swap ends. Note that I haven't even started to talk about what this does to axle shafts, tires, etc. Bottom line is that this is a bad idea.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

In short: Not Recommended... Reasons noted above.

Jason
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

"cheapest way to go" hardy har har

I run a Mark Williams spool in a Dana 60 on the street with 30X12.5X15 MT street slicks. I use coil overs with full ladder bars, 40 spline gun drilled axels and Richmond Pro gears. Car is 4 corner weighed and balanced. Never broke an axel or a rear end gear. (Can fire up the skins real nice also..)

Set the car/suspension correctly , drive responsibly, and learn their charactistics, then they are fine..

Drive like a squirrel and you will also, end up in a tree.. or mashed flat some where..

Last edited by OHD; 11-16-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Last photo:

The swapping ends problem is real, even with a positrac. I had an instance years ago with my 70 Nova. I was tuning the car getting ready for the Wednesday grudge races at the local drag strip. I had made several hard launches on a country road. This one particular launch was hard, the car hooked up really well. Unfortunately there had been a recent rain and I hit a patch where the pavement was still wet. Before I could even think about it I was out of control spinning backward down the road. I wound up facing the opposite direction almost in the ditch. I can't even think of one reason I would run a spool on the street.

Vince
Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 PM

well i guess the spool is out. i want to find a true track or a locker then? 35 spline? what would be a good price? and how much is it going to cost to have it all put together?(including housing ends, sping mounts shock mounts gears, ect)
Old 11-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
is anyone running a spool on the street? it seems to be the cheapest way to go. i know it is going to cherp around corners but what about bends. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the street spool. if no spool on the street , then what? i am having a hard time figuring out where and what 35 spline carrier i need of want. oohh a have a dana 60.
I run a Mini Spool in both of my street rods no bigy no trouble here i have a blast, People have to remember here when you have a out right streetrod or hot rod you never drive them the same as the Chevy truck so i say put it in have fun and be safe.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

My tires are 18.5 wide and have been running a spool for 2 years and no problems, you will be fine.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:35 PM

do you have problems with wet roads or corners. how much street driving do you do?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If you have an accident and the your insurance finds out you have a spool I don't think they will pay.
Shane
Old 11-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

i think if your planning on using this vehicle everyday, in all types of weather, go with a limited slip. If this is a sunny day weekend warrior, spool 'er up, you will have to get used to the driving characteristics as stated earlier, but its not at all hard to control.... just use common sense and judgment
Old 11-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Spools were developed for racing and racing only. They are designed for straight line acceleration and they have no practical use on the street. Spools are dangerous on wet roads and are hard on axles and tires. Use one at your own risk.

Last edited by Centerline; 11-17-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
do you have problems with wet roads or corners. how much street driving do you do?
My car is a prostreet car,14to1, 468 and a 5200 stall,Never broke a axle,dont scrub the rear tires and it drives just fine, in the summer I drive it all the time. As far as the wet road's, common sense goes along ways when your driving a hot rod. I usually dont think of jumping in my hot rod and driving around in the rain and I have enough common sense to be aware of recent rain before I go tearing down a road, Usually I will save that for the track.

Just like automods said, If your a weekend warrior,street/strip spool it, If your gonna drive it all year round then put a posi.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

I know around here we have crowns built into the streets. I once drove a car with a spool around the block just to move it, it was totally retarded!
There is no way you could get away with that here...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.