Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - spot repair
Thread: spot repair
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I did the sand test. its single stage. I wish it was base coat. I have some experience with those. the paint is the gm factory color so the formula should be available. it is metallic but the metallic is barely visible.
I can blend it in but I am looking for tips on getting it as undetectable as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
If it's Deltron, your probably in luck...and it would make sense seeing that you have expensive graphics on your car. Deltron is one of PPG's base coat/clear coat products. Also you mentioned that it "still looks nice and shiny other than the scratch", if it was Acrylic Urethane and a metallic, chances are it wouldn't be that shiny...Metallic Single Stage paints are generally not very shiny unless it has a very low amount of metallic in the paint. The way you can check to see if it's BC/CC is to take a piece of sand paper (try 600 grit) and on an inconspicuous area, preferably a dark color and gently sand the area (close to where the scratch is would work as well, it needs to be repaired anyway) and check the grit side of the sandpaper for color...if the sanding dust is white, you have base clear, if the sanding dust is the color of what you sanded, it's single stage.

As I mentioned, because you have graphics and it's been suggested that it's PPG's Deltron, the paint will most likely be Base Coat/Clear Coat...do you have formulas for the color that your trying to repair? Would it be possible to post pictures of the scratched area and the graphics? If the scratch is close to the graphics it may be a very involved repair and might be a candidate for a "don't try this at home" scenario.

If you could answer these few questions and try to post several pictures, I will try and advise you as to the best ways to repair your scratch.

Ray