Hot Rod Forum banner

spot welder

991 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bitor 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I bought something very similar about 25 years ago. the way it works is the holder is a carbon electrode. You press the pronged front piece against the area you want the spot to be and pull the trigger. that retracts the carbon electrode back form the surface and creates an arc. the problem I found is that it heats only one side and to really spot weld the arc has to be maintained long enough to melt the joining piece. With me I either did not have the patience or i could not learn the skill because invariably the pieces separated very quickly. I still have the thing but I sure have given up trying to use it.

#4 ·
Junk, JUNK, JUNK, I want to make myself clear, I think it is JUNK!!!!.

I bought one a number of years ago when I was thinking about getting a MIG. I was trying to put it off, "hmmm, with this I won't need to spend the big bucks on the MIG". NO, it was JUNK!. I threw the money in the garbage trying this JUNK and sprung for the MIG within a few days of getting this piece of JUNK.

And it does NOT make a "factory type spot weld". They are made under pressure with a LOT of amps. There is NO WAY one of these cheapie tools will EVER do that. That is just a fact. It is like trying to stamp a new fender out with a pair of dies and a port-o-power, it just can't be done.

Brian

#5 ·
In case you have not been told yet, that thing is JUNK!! You may get a few welds that are close to reasonable, maybe anyway, but most will either not stick the parts together or will burn through the top piece while the bottom piece will pull away due to warpage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.