Spotweld bits - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spotweld bits

I searched the forum for posts on the best bits for cutting out spotwelds, but I may not be calling them the "trade name", because I found little help. Does Eastwood make the best ones, or are their better ones out there? I am getting ready to strip quarters and other sheetmetal from a parts car, and I want to take as big a panel as possible, so I'll cut out the spotwelds where I need to .

Thanks for all the advice thus far guys!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Everything that Eastwood has is quality stuff in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I purchased some spot weld bits from Eastwood to use to replace my stock Firewall with one from *****in' Products. They worked great, but I wished they offered them in a smaller size. Now I just use a drill bit-

Craig
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Here's what I did, when I had to remove about 90 spot welds.

1) I would take a small 1/8 cobalt metal drill bit and drill right in the center of the weld I wanted to remove.
2) I bought these spot weld cutters at 5/16 and 3/8 from northern tools for around 14 bucks. They have a retractable center guide and I put the guide into center drilled hole and removed the weld. Here is a picture of them:

Now the key to getting these guys to last is getting that center guide hole drilled. But I will tell you they worked really well and did a great job of just removing the weld from the top of the metal and leaving a nice bottom backing for later going back and replacing the spot weld. I did buy the Eastwood's's solid spot weld drill 3/8 pro but found it not to work as well. Anyway I hope this helps good luck
MP
Old 01-06-2006, 03:53 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have never seen the ones that "Satexas" has at Northern, but get mine from a local body shop supply. The cutting bits are replaceable, with 2 cutters on each piece. I think I pay about $18-$20 for 2 cutters when I need them. Since the cutters I get are carbide, they cut really well, but will break the edges off if they jam. They are real nice if you are taking a panel off for access, and then re-installing that same panel. They will leave little buttons where each weld is, if you don't go thru the inner piece. If you are going to use that panel on another vehicle, it gives you the hole for plug welding it on with.

If you are removing a panel where you are not concerned with the one that it is attached to, you can just use a regular drill bit, and just drill straithg thru, removing the weld. That way, when all of the welds are gone, the panel just comes off.

Aaron
Old 01-06-2006, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Thats the one.

Adt,
that's the one. The ones I buy from Northern has two replacement bits with it. You right about them breaking off if you don't get them flush, that's how I found out about the drill the hole in the center trick and they last a much longer time. I really like them and found them to drill out a really nice fill in hole with backing. I had to do a whole unibody section on the driver side of a f-150 crew cab and my cab cut this way and it worked great.

MP
Old 01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

Spotweld bits

If you are removing a panel where you are not concerned with the one that it is attached to, you can just use a regular drill bit, and just drill straithg thru, removing the weld. That way, when all of the welds are gone, the panel just comes off.

Thanks for the info guys; I think just a regular drill bit may be in order since I am stripping a parts car anyway. I really just need patches, but I am removing the whole panels so I will have extra sheetmetal for repairs that are in the same areas.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.