Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Spray booth filters disposal
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
More and more shops are looking at the numbers than ever before. Years ago a body shop was owned and ran by an artist (or a hack, depending) and seldom were the numbers looked at like most any other "manufacturing" company. With the margins getting tighter and tighter in this industry shop owners are looking more and more at how to save time here and there and run the shop more efficiently. There is nothing wrong with this of course UNLESS it effects the quality of the end product. A lot of time we fight it, just because it is change and we as humans resist change.

The shop I have worked at for the last 13 years has really gotten into training on this subject and I found it interesting as all hell. At the same time, when someone is telling you to change, it's difficult and I too resisted. When we were told that we would be painting all the panels off the car and then have to install them newly painted, holy crap how are we going to do that I asked. The production manager said "It's ether that or you go cut grass". Not every encouraging, but he was right, I was a body tech and I should be able to do it, if others are doing it right?

In no time we were all doing it in the shop and it wasn't a big deal at all. Heck I can put on newly painted doors by myself. Change, ahhhhh, it's always hard but if you become a better tech because of it, why not?

Brian