Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Spray booth filters disposal
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmaks View Post
I wanted to ask whoever works in body shops, does your body shop have filters hauled off or you guys just throw them in the dumpster.
Personally I don think there is anything harmful in them once they are dry.
Our company started paying another company to haul off old filters. They charge thousands. Of course the company that does it told our company that "they are hazardous waste" and we should have them "safely disposed"
There is whole lot of bureaucratic bs going on right now but it's long story.
Just wanted to know what other shops are doing about this.
I seriously doubt your boss is that stupid to spend thousands throwing away filters if it wasn't required by law. And yes we have the filters removed and disposed of by the a company who services the booths, they come in and change filters, clean the booth and walk out with it spotless so we can paint cars and make money.

Around here I not sure what filters can and can't be thrown in the garage some get thrown out here others leave so I am not sure. But I do know that we can't wash cars with the water going into the drain or gutter, all water has to be filtered before it hits the street. We have a wash rack with a large drain in the middle and that drain needs to be serviced once in a while to change the filters and clean it. Then we have special garbage cans for the bondo dust that is swept up to be put in, again, it's "hazardous waste" by the standards of the city or county we live.

It's change, we resist but I don't have a problem with it, we don't want to crap on the earth.

Brian