Hot Rod Forum banner

Spray Booth Zoning

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Evill Ed 
#1 ·
I know the answer to this depends on the location of the shop, but my question is, If I want to install a spray booth for a restoration shop, not a full blown autobody shop, are the laws different? I do not want to be a licensed autobody shop. I will not do regular collision repair, prodcution or insurance work. My intent it to only do restoration and custom paint. I would be spraying low volumes of material. I know getting an autobody license is tough and the shop need to be specially zoned. However I see this as no diiferent than the fabrication shops in the industrial parks that build machines and things and spray paint them. Most have walk in style booths.

Anyone have any experiance with a set up like this? Legal spray booth but not a licensed body shop?

Ed

#2 ·
The technical requirements for a spray booth are the same for all spray booths..Makes no difference just what is being painted..

Some confusion exists with permitting issues..planning and zoning is a different thing from permitting a particular structure or facility.

Zoning ordinances set down what are permissible uses for a particular parcel of land..

Permitting has to do with the structures themselves and do they meet the applicable building codes..Construction of a paint booth would be in the Uniform Mechanical Code for ventilation and HVAC.. the Uniform Building Code would govern the structure itself for fire retardence and structural considerations..

Bit complicated but start with a permit package from the local building authority to determine just what codes and ordinances govern the parcel you are working on..

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.