Spray Can Paint Job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Spray Can Paint Job

I have been addicted to this website for a long time and have been so amazed at the talent out there. Although I have not the financial means to purchase a classic to rebuild (some of you all know, starving college kid, story of my life) I would like to customize something to make it my own. I was thinking that I would like to custom paint my Mountain Bike (I race during the summer) and was questioning using spray paint? I want to somehow have four leaf clovers inside the paint job, kinda covered up like ghost flames and was wondering if there is any way I could do that using spray paint. I apologize if I seem cheap, but after all I am still an undergraduate student with zero money. Thanks for all your help.

Lucky

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 AM

go to ur local auto body shop and ask about there spray bombs (Preval sprayer). They basically mix up ANY color you want and you spray it rattle can style. As for ur ghost 4 leaf clovers that may get a lil trickier hoefully one of the pros here will chime in.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:31 PM

Forgive me because I'm a total amateur but as far as how to do the designs you're talking about you would probably have to draw the design and cut the masking tape in that pattern.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Have Gun, Will Paint

You know I was shopping at walmart the other day when I saw a 3 stage Kamelian (sp?) type paint set up in spray cans. I think it's from "Duplicolor" But the kit kame with a can of black base coat, a can of coloer changing mid coat, and a clear coat. It was pretty cheap too. I think it would be a great idea to try out. Look for it in the auto section at your local walmar......... Damn I just sounded like one of there comercials
Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 PM

I want to thank everyone for their ideas, they truly are helping a lot. I was thinking about primering the frame (I have primer left over from another project) then spraying a metalic silver, then taping off my designs, I found a nice flame design and I also want to put my nickname on the side of the frame. After everything is tapped off I plan on painting a metallic blue over it. I also want to paint the rims to match. How does that sound?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Sounds good,
you know Dupli Color offers a wide assortment of good spray can paint. They have chrome looks, anodized loooks, and even a 3 can kit that includes primer, prismatic effect paint (color shifting) and clearcoat. It's $28 canadian dollars at the store I saw it. It's called the DupliColor Mistify.
Good luck and make sure to include some pics!

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Duplicolor

I wonder if you can wet sand and buff Duplicolor. If you can, thats your ticket. A killer paint job is made to a great degree by 1500 grit sand paper and buffing compound. You can roll on urethane paint, knock it down flat with 1000 grit, finish sand with 1500 and buff with 3M buffing compound Perfect It III and it will knock your eyes out. Hope it helps, I gotta try the Duplicolor thing. That could come in real handy. For small parts.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:32 PM

You can sand it, you can also go to color right and get the good stuff in a rattle can.
If you get their # from their site color-rite.com you can tell them what you want. You can get pearl, candys UC100 urethane clears all in rattle cans. You can do a very pro job with time.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:54 PM

Buffing

Speaking of buffing, today I tried a new buffing compound. I normally use 3m products, always with good success but this stuff just knocked my socks off. Its formulated by a guy that is a caretaker for a auto collection in Ca. Using a Superbuff wool bonnet after wet sanding to 1500, this stuff gave the cleanest most perfect gloss I've ever seen. It was much faster than any of the 3M I've used and it requires much less material. Just had to tell somebody.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=M3
Old 05-08-2004, 09:55 PM

that stuff reminds me of the 'system one' stuff, I dunno what to make of these 'do all' products, personally Ive always liked 3M stuff and since I just dropped $50+ into several different bottles Im gonna stick it out.

Last edited by sportbikeluvr; 05-08-2004 at 10:08 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.