Spray Can Primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 06:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Spray Can Primer

Okay, hereís the thing.
I bought an old 1961 Volvo PV 544. I saw the potential in the car but neglected to fully notice the flaws. The paint looks like someone skim coated the entire car in Bondo then waited until it was "mostly" dry and then painted it flat black. The result was huge fairly deep cracks in the paint. I decided to bite the bullet and try to salvage my investment. This is something I plan to take my time with so I'm in no big hurry. My problem is that I am on a shoestring budget and donít have the tools or location to do a professional type job. Iím looking for a good spray can primer (if there is such a thing) Iím using Krylon now but itís not waterproof and rust is starting to poke through. Since I only do a section at a time I need something that will provide a good base that I can eventually apply a long-lasting paint to, but it also needs to be waterproof. I just ordered a product called Zero Rust primer because I was so concerned about rust. It occurred to me after I ordered it that it may not be any good as a primer. Has anybody used it or know if its any good?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 06:45 PM
©ģô

Last photo:

There is only one thing you can do and that is take everything off and go back to bare metal. If you don't, you will never get a decent paint job on it.

There is only one kind of primer that will seal it against rust and that is epoxy primer and you can't get it in a spray can.

Keep in mind that no primer including epoxy primer has UV protection, so you will have to store the car out of the sun until you paint the car.

I know you are on a shoe-string budget but, would you rather completely waste a small amount of money or spend a little more and do the job right?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 AM

"There is only one kind of primer that will seal it against rust and that is epoxy primer and you can't get it in a spray can."

If I'm understanding things right, I need a compressor and a sprayer to shoot the epoxy primer. My problem is that I can only work on the car a little at a time, a fender, then a door etc. That would mean that I need to rent the compressor and mix the epoxy each time I finish a segment.

If I used a self-etching primer (like SEM) could I then overcoat it with something water proof?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:44 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Same question at autobody101 under a differnt user name
http://autobody101.com/forums/viewto...430&highlight=

spray cans are for swing sets, patio furniture, your kids bike he drops everyday.. not for automotive painting.. if you dont have the resoruces to do the job, dont start it.. not being a smart butt, being honest
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoKing
Same question at autobody101 under a differnt user name
http://autobody101.com/forums/viewto...430&highlight=

spray cans are for swing sets, patio furniture, your kids bike he drops everyday.. not for automotive painting.. if you dont have the resoruces to do the job, dont start it.. not being a smart butt, being honest
I'm not planning on painting the car with spray cans, I just want to prime some bare metal spots with a good waterproof primer.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Your best bet then is to sand or grind away, scotchbrite disk the pits, depending how bad, the rust and to mix epoxy primer and apply it with a brush, roller. There are some epoxy primers that say its okay to prime this way, if you leave enough time between coats.Then when you can do it right, sand it, apply more epoxy with a spray gun and prime and paint like normal. Sorry, I am with the other guys. Any 1k spray product, you should sand back off to do it right, and they won't provide the protection you need if not kept in a dry, moisture free environment.

Last edited by kenseth17; 09-14-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

One low cost option to bridge the gap between spray cans and an air compressor is the Preval paint sprayer. Essentially it is a pressurized diposable spray can head on a glass jar that you fill with whatever paint you want to use. Fifteen years ago when I was still in school and broke I painted the door jambs on a car I was building for my wife with Charcoal metallic. We still have the car, I have repinted the exterior again but the door jambs still look factory.
Get yourself a handful of the preval sprayers, some SPI epoxy and you'll have your project off to a good start!
Just do a Yahoo search for Preval and you'll find lots of sources. Have fun.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Kenseth17 and 39Hemi,

Thanks for the constructive advice. Sounds like a plan and I'll look into both scenarios!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39Hemi
One low cost option to bridge the gap between spray cans and an air compressor is the Preval paint sprayer. Essentially it is a pressurized diposable spray can head on a glass jar that you fill with whatever paint you want to use. Fifteen years ago when I was still in school and broke I painted the door jambs on a car I was building for my wife with Charcoal metallic. We still have the car, I have repinted the exterior again but the door jambs still look factory.
Get yourself a handful of the preval sprayers, some SPI epoxy and you'll have your project off to a good start!
Just do a Yahoo search for Preval and you'll find lots of sources. Have fun.
I just did a Google search for Preval. Man that looks like EXACTLY what I need!! Thanks so much for the great idea!!

Any suggestions on what and where to purchase a good epoxy paint. (a chain type store that may be in my area)

Last edited by lincoln64; 09-14-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

As I said before my preference is for SPI epoxy you can mail oreder it and have it delivered to your door. The owner of the company, BarryK is member on the BB. I like it better than the PPG I was using and it costs less. If you prefer to buy locally both PPG and Dupont make a quality product. I don't know your local area so I can't help you on a local source, maybe someone else has local knowledge.
Here is a link to the SPI homepage.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm
Old 09-15-2006, 12:00 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

If you are going to drive it with the epoxy on it make sure you get the black epoxy from SPI. I believe it is the most UV resistant of the epoxys out there. PM BarryK to verify this though. Just to be on the safe side. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:23 AM

Are any of the epoxy primers waterproof? That is, do any of them offer any sort of rust protection?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
©ģô

Last photo:

All epoxy primer should be waterproof.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:36 AM

Thanks! So it looks like the Preval system and a good 2k epoxy primer is the way I should go. Thanks for you help and patience!!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

I had parts of my Mercedes project in epoxy primer for several years while I was fitting the Ford 4.6L V8 and had no problems with rust.

One final word of caution, the epoxy primers are not as toxic as some of the other modern paint products but you should still exercise caution when using them. At a minimum wear gloves to keep the epoxy off your skin and a good charcaol activated respirator when you are mixing and spraying.
This is fun hobby and it's more fun when you stay healthy!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.