spray on chrome - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

spray on chrome

Has anyone seen, done or know anyone that has used this process? A cheap set-up is 3 grand. I am curious. http://www.sprayonchrome.com/equipment.html

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Don't know anything about that process, but my buddy had his engine accessories powder coated with ultimate chrome. They look good and cost a lot less than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've seen it both done and the finish product. They had a demonstration at the Pomona Grand Dragster show.. It appears like chrome but when you look closely you'll see the difference. Chrome has a shiny clear appearance where this is slightly duller. With the cost of the equipment, unless your planning on doing a lot of parts and your friends cars, the cost is not worth it. Chrome plating is still much better, more durable. This product is better than chrome powdercoating. I'll give it that...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Jay Leno did a video on that stuff on his web site. It's pretty good especially for things like pot metal, fiberglass, plastics and the like. Here is the video.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!" - Anonymous
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Jay Leno did a video on that stuff on his web site. It's pretty good especially for things like pot metal, fiberglass, plastics and the like. Here is the video.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

I]
All I can say is WOW ! ! That is an amazing process. I think a guy could open up a shop doing that, and make a living at it, once he got it advertised properly. If I was a little younger, I'd go for it.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

[QUOTE=Centerline]Jay Leno did a video on that stuff on his web site. It's pretty good especially for things like pot metal, fiberglass, plastics and the like. Here is the video.

Centerline

My neighbor saw the Jay segment on tv, this is what got me started. He has a 58 Chev Bel Air, nice car but EVERYTHING chrome needs some help. Lots of interior parts, I was wondering if this process would stand up to the rigors of time and does it really look as decent as the videos? Chroming in Cal. is a crap shoot, expensive and just doesn't seem to be the quality of years ago. We're actually thinking of getting a mess of chrome together from guys in our club and shooting down to Mexicali, Mexico. When I was working in El Centro a few years ago I met a shop owner that does that, he has some good connections. BUT, if this is pretty good, we may get a few guys to invest in this process.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Alsa Mirachrome comes in small quantities use your own spray equipment. On the flip side, here is a less than satisfied review of the product.

Sad truth is there is no substitute for the good old polishing wheel and acid baths.

Another option is DIY chrome. I bought one of the little Caswell CopyChrome kits for my model work and it works great. Key as always is surface preparation but with a highly polished surface, this one step plating process is chrome. Caswell also sells triple chrome plating kits. This web site is fun to browse even if you never guy any of ther stuff. IF you decide to DIY, spend as much for polishing equipment as you do for the plating stuff. That preliminary work is critally important to a good result.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 01-11-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.