Hot Rod Forum banner

Spray gun problem(long)

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rehmgdboy 
#1 ·
I have a sharpe sgf hvlp w/ a 1.8 tip that i spray hi build primer with.The gun has been rebuilt twice in the last month.I can get it too spray wet coats, just dusty dry spray.I have cleaned the gun meticulously(sp?).If i adjust the fan the way i want 9 " cigar and open up the fluid all the way i get a nice wet pattern on masking paper but when i tilt the gun over to sray a hood or trunk lid i sprays dusty and dry***? Why does it spray wet when i hold it vertical butnot when i tip it over to spray hoods& trunk lids? Im confused.The gun was rebuilt by a sharpe authorized dealer.thanks mike

#4 ·
62galaxiguy said:
what are you saying?The material wont flow out when held at a 90 degree angle? DUH?
If the paint is in the front of the cup and not the bottom, what do you expect? The cup has to stay vertical enough that paint is in the bottom. That means that as the cup gets emptier that it can be tilted less and less.

Seriously this is a joke right?

#6 ·
Doesn't make any sense to me why a gun would spray fine vertically but not on the top panels. The only thing I can think of is possibly dry overspray is landing on the top panels, and it appears as it is spraying rough when you spray over it. Did you try reducing the primer at all with a slow reducer? A 1.8 still may be a little small for a real thick high build primer with no reduction.Top panels are usually larger, harder to reach and keep you gun parallel. I know you said its been rebuilt twice and cleaned, so I am discounting the possibility something could be bent or you have an airleak somewhere or there is a clog in the nozzle or cap, your vent hole is clean. Thats not saying whoever rebuilt it couldn't have missed something. Maybe they just threw in a gasket and seal kit. Double check you have a good gasket behind the fluid nozzle and its tight, you vent hole in the cap is clear. Did you try asking Sharpe at all. Maybe there may be something to watch for. They use to have a question and answer page on their site, but I don't believe it is running anymore.

#7 ·
SGF vs Cobalt

Recently I won an Sgf and a Cobalt gun from Ebay.
Both were completely clogged and covered with paint, so I got them cheap. I took them completely apart, used paint remover to clean all of the paint off, and then reassembled them using the original Teflon seals. Now they look good-as-new.

There's not much to rebuilding them.

Like everyone says, the problem isn't in the gun, unless the vent is clogged.
Most likely it isn't that either. I assume the Sharpe guy tested the gun after rebuilding it.
BTW Does any one know what the difference is between the SGF and the Cobalt?
They look like the same gun, just different color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.