Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Spray Painted Interior Panels
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac88
I just spent about 45 minutes trying to remove black spray paint from my back interior panels, which were originally grey. After scrubbing, it looks like panels had been sprayed with a primer too. I tried sandpaper, which is slowly removing it, and I even tried oven cleaner. I read in another forum that it worked pretty well on plastics. Has anyone ever tried paint thinner or remover on their panels? I know those chemicals are strong and could damage the plastics, but has anyone tried it? At the rate I'm going, it will take me forever to get these panels free of the black paint.
When you say "panels", are you referring to door panels, or hard plastic parts? Mineral Spirits is the solvent for contact adhesive, and won't harm vinyl, leather, Ultraleather, or hard plastic. If these are hard plastic DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER, it can melt some plastics.

Vinyl dye will not work over paint, you need a completely clean surface to dye vinyl, plastic, leather, etc.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.