Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Spraying candy on 1946 chevy pickup
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brian, your "Basic Of Basic's is right on. Get the inside of the doors, door jambs, under hood, engine bay etc. and thing that will not be seen at the same time or level (plain) spray them first and mask up what you painted...leaving the doors on is very important and walking the vehicle will also give the best results. One of the most important things to watch for when spraying a candy mid coat is the over lap...it doesn't matter if it 50%, 65% or 80%...What matters is the consistency...every pass needs to be that same over lap. When you have that mastered, tri coats (true candies are tri coats) aren't nearly as intimidating.

I spray with about 75% over lap...I was told (by a painter that was quite well respected) that the way I sprayed was wrong, I should spray with 50% overlap and I would run into problems when doing a tri-coat blend of any kind...I disagreed and and went on a did several tri-coats on panels and what I found was the most important part of doing any tri-coat was consistency...just do the same thing over and over, coat after coat...sound simple, that's also the hardest part and does take a bit of practice.

Ray