Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Spraying Clear Coat on Stock Paint
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
Well my car is a 2003 and I really want to paint it but I have no good reason to other than a few stone chips in on the hood. I could spot repair the stone chips and clear the rest of the hood but then it wouldn't match well.

So what I was thinking was sand the entire car with 1000 wet then spray some base on the stone chips then clear the whole thing. Get a perfect show room finish, fix the stone chips, work less, and save a bit of money.

Is there a problem with this plan? Any durability issues that I may encounter? Is there a better way to prep a car like this (with scotchbrite I mean)?
I have to assume you have never sprayed a complete. If you had you would NOT be thinking of this as it is a HUGE project compared to a hood. It is like building a two bedroom two bath house compared to a dog house, it is a LOT more work. And most of all, a LOT more wide open spaces for errors. There is no reason to add detail to make this understood I hope, if there is no reason to spray anything else, don't do it!

Brian