Hot Rod Forum banner

spraying clear coat on top of clear coat?

21K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jcclark 
#1 ·
I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I didn't find it in the forum.

I sprayed a few parts with about 3 coats of the spraymax 2k aerosol clear coat a few days ago. I started wetsanding as there is some pretty good orange peel, but I decided that I would like to have more clear on there because there are several stripes and some decals that I would like to level out on the surface. I'm nervous that I will sand through into the base without more clear.

Can I simply spray a few more coats on the top? Right now the parts are dull with most of the orange peel sanded out. I didn't know if that would ruin the overall finish to have the dull clear under the new clear.

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
Sure you can.
Painters do it all the time, the second spraying always lays on better.
Most painters reduce the new clear a little, it's referred to
as a "flow coat" when done that way.
If I have a part that's difficult to buff I will sand the clear and
respray, usually the second time looks so much better that
no buffing is needed. :pimp:

#3 ·
After sanding you first coats of clear it is advisable to place the what you have cleared in the sun for an entire day to allow trapped solvents to escape. Laying a fresh coat of clear on top of another freshly cured clear can result in solvent pop if this is not followed.

Vince

#4 ·
Well I sprayed the clear on friday, sanded it on Sunday, and am planning on respraying on Tuesday (best weather day this week). The parts haven't been curing in the sun, but they've been in my ~45% humidity, 70 degree garage. Will this be a problem?

#6 ·
HOWEVER, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, we are talking Aerosol cans here and they don't put out a lot of material so your film thickness is going to be thin. You DO NOT want to sand this so thin as to allow the next coat to soak thru and lift your work! So I would say to just knock it down a little, apply more nice and smooth and then cut that down and buff or cut it down flat and apply another few coats. But honestly, I have used that Aerosol 2K and you are NOT applying a coat like with a gun, it is much thinner.

Brian

#10 ·
flips712 said:
If you were to wetsand or scuff the clearcoat, what is the appropriate grit paper/scuff pad that you should use before respraying more clearcoat?

Thanks,
flips712
I usually use 600 but since you used a spray can and that clear is thinner,
I'd be very nervous useing anything that coarse, I'd probably use
something above 1000 grit. :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.