spraying small amounts of epoxy - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't know about epoxy i never tried it, but when I was a kid I sprayed deltron base through a preval sprayer and that sprayed fine. They do spray with a little bit of orange peel though. Also used a preval to paint a model or two. I don't know if I would use one on a fairly large area, but the epoxy could be sanded. I've already ran a cheapy single action airbrush by filling up an air tank at the gas station and then using it to spray a model. Kind of a pain running to refill the tank, but I guess when your young you find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
1.4 is the perfect tip, 1.3 will work.

I just can't believe the prevail sprayers will spray epoxy other than a small part maybe, don't know but would have to see to believe.
Crap! I just had a long reply to this that got lost, so I am not going to re-type. Anyway, try it sometime Barry. It does work as I have done a few times now. I know the SPI is your brand, but it works. I tried it because I was looking for something as a sealer over quick touch ups while filling small areas. Us non pros do things slow in between going to our normal jobs. Just last week I touched up the dash and some frame areas with your black SPI and Prevail unit. Just need to remove the little plastic filter, mix real good and try to avoid some of the larger solids. Sometimes I have a little bit of time to work before going work, and pulling out the gun ---- well is no fun. I was going to buy one of those touch up HVLP's since they are getting cheaper. I do have a siphon touch up, but until I need to spray a larger area, I think I'll burn up these Prevail units I have. I would say you can do up to about the size of the engine bay with one of these. They also work OK for spraying urethane base coats in areas like engine bays, dash etc. Nothing for the exterior of the body though. Gun of course is the best way to go, but it does work.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:00 AM

Last photo:

I think think the prevail sprayers are a good idea for some things but in all the years they have been out I have never used one.

So learned something today and not done with first cup of coffee yet!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

First-hand experience with the Preval!

Hi,
I finally got around to trying out that Preval sprayer yesterday.

I mixed up a quart of Endura primer, and set out to prime all of my small chassis parts, i.e front crossmember, control arms, sway bar, motor mounts, etc.

I sprayed it all, and used 3 of those little propellant cartridges. I'm quite pleased with the results. The primer has a nice gloss to it and no runs, and not a lot of dry spray or orange peel either! Similar to a good quality rattle-can.

Clean-up was a snap! Throw away the propellant cartridge, rinse out the glass jar, and go home!

I was able to get into some fairly small enclosed areas on that front cross-member that probably would have been difficult or impossible with a 1-qt siphon gun. It was pretty slow going though.

I might use the Preval again when I do the topcoating, to get inside to tight spots ... or to do very small parts with a different color. Otherwise, I think I'd just mix up a quart and use the siphon gun. It's just got to be faster.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Might also be handy if you are doing something like an engine compartment or something, and the engine is not removed. You could use one to get into more of a confined space that you can't get at with the touch up gun and hose, but still use activated paint.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.