Sprayit SP33000 LVLP paint gun...which tip? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sprayit SP33000 LVLP paint gun...which tip?

Anyone have any experience w/this gun:
Amazon.com: SPRAYIT SP-33000 Lvlp Gravity Feed Spray Gun: Home Improvement Amazon.com: SPRAYIT SP-33000 Lvlp Gravity Feed Spray Gun: Home Improvement

I bought one a couple months ago and have not used it yet. It looks alot like the ZHIPP one that others have used from Tuul Shed and Ebay. I have a small compressor and that is why I chose it. Also you can buy different tips on Amazon which makes it more versatile the the other cheap guns.

I am planning on using it for my 2K high build primer, Epoxy and then finally my SS paint. That way I can get some practice on it before the paint. I have never painted before FYI.

It came w/the 1.3 tip and I bought a 1.5 for it also. The plan was to use the 1.5 on the 2K high build primer and the Epoxy and the 1.3 on the SS. All the product is from Eastwood BTW. Does this sound like the right tips to use?

Thanks in advance for any advise!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

Anyone every used this gun?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I haven't used that particular gun...but...as far as tip choice goes, depending on the viscosity (thickness) of the 2K primer, you may have wanted to step up to a 1.8 tip, if the primer is to thick, you could reduce it 5% or 10% more to thin it out....and the 1.3 tip should be fine for single stage paint, again, dependent on viscosity, but, generally for SS...it will work fine.

When you say you have a small compressor, how small? How many CFM's does it put out and how big is your reserve tank. What CFM's does the gun require to spray properly? These are all factors that play an important role in painting and must be factored in when purchasing equipment.

Ray
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

The air consumption on the gun is 3.5-3.9 cfm @30 psi and working pressure is 28-45psi w/max pressure of 60 psi.
My compressor is a Craftsman 20 gallon, 8.6 cfm @ 40 psi/6.4 cfm@ 90 psi. I know I really need a bigger/better compressor, but not going to happen. I might try to find an extra holding tank if I need to. Figured I would try the primer first and see what happens.

As far as the tip size goes, the tech sheets say:
Epoxy, 1.4-1.8 w/an HVLP gun
Primer, 1.4-1.6 w/an HVLP gun
Paint, 1.2-1.4 w/an HVLP gun

That is why I thought 1.5 for the primer and Epoxy and 1.3 for the paint, right in the middle of the recommendations for the HVLP guns....not sure if it would be different for the LVLP.

Here is another link for the gun that has more info:
http://www.californiaairtools.com/spray-guns/sp-33000/
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You are right on the edge and an extra holding tank will help some...when painting large areas, your compressor will be running constantly...be sure to drain the tank often as your going to get lots of condensation from heat build up...as far as tips, you should be alright...for high viscosity products like primer, it may be a little slow going but follow what I mentioned in my first post about reducing the primer and all should be well.

Look into getting a larger holding tank, it may help some, especially on larger surfaces.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help. The good thing is I am going to be painting the hood, fenders bumpers and trunk off the car(at the same time as the car) so that should help let the compressor catch up.
Just curious, how is it that I am right on the edge? Not arguing, just curious. I figured if the gun is using 4 cfm at 40psi and my compressor puts out 8.6 cfm at 40psi that I would be in good shape as my compressor is putting out over twice the gun usage.

Last edited by kevs79; 12-20-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,204 Posts
I don't think Ray is saying you will run out of air. His concern is that a small compressor will run long and hard. When it does it gets hot. That hot air cools drastically as it comes out of the spray gun causing the humidity in the air to condense. That is why he advised to drain the tank frequently. Moisture is the biggest problem with an amateur paint job using a small compressor. I hope I am not out of line doing Ray's talking for him but I have certainly been down the road you are traveling.

John L
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

#1) Because, very often compressors are over rated and with a 20 gallon tank you rest assured that your compressor will be running much of the time if not all the time heating up your compressor.

#2) As your compressor heats up it won't be putting out the reported 8.6 CFM.

Think of it this way...your compressor is hot, the air being taken in by the compressor is now hotter than when you first ran your compressor so what does heat do to air, it expands it, what do you want to do with the air, you want to compress it. Your asking your compressor to take expanded air and compress it at the same volume as cooler air. The compressor only has so much capacity to compress and the hot air will reduce your CFM factor and you will see a difference when your compressor is hot...that's why I said your running on the edge.

I hope that makes sense.

Ray
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
#1)

.your compressor is hot, the air being taken in by the compressor is now hotter than when you first ran your compressor so what does heat do to air, it expands it, what do you want to do with the air, you want to compress it. Your asking your compressor to take expanded air and compress it at the same volume as cooler air. The compressor only has so much capacity to compress and the hot air will reduce your CFM factor and you will see a difference when your compressor is hot...

I hope that makes sense.

Ray
That is a good point and makes perfect sense. I had not thought of that aspect.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
kevs79 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I don't think Ray is saying you will run out of air. His concern is that a small compressor will run long and hard. When it does it gets hot. That hot air cools drastically as it comes out of the spray gun causing the humidity in the air to condense. That is why he advised to drain the tank frequently. Moisture is the biggest problem with an amateur paint job using a small compressor. I hope I am not out of line doing Ray's talking for him but I have certainly been down the road you are traveling.

John L
Actually Thanks John...In my last post I was focusing on the physics of how a compressor operates and you are 100% correct and I should have added the condensation factor into the equation as point #3. When your taking hot expanded air into your compressor the amount of moisture per CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) is virtually the same as non expanded air. When you compress it the moisture turns into water as it. This water can end up coming out of the compressors holding tank and onto your freshly painted panel. Air compressors CFM are generally rated at sea level, the higher your elevation the less CFM your compressor can produce.

Thanks John...my bad, I know I mentioned it in my first post but should have explained more in my second. I don't think you'll run out of air, but your quality of air and the wear on your compressor will be a factor.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
kevs79 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

Makes sense thanks guys!! I figure the primer surfacer will be my test since I will be putting it on the same configuration as the paint. That way see how it works out.
Thanks again for all the help and advise. If anyone else has any input please post it.
I will try to re-visit this thread once I lay some product down and keep it updated.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

That comp might be alright doing one piece at a time. You can forget about doing an overall... hope you have good water filtration because it will be running constantly and making a ton of water. Just have to test it out and see what happens.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

I found another compressor I might get. It has the same specs as mine, but is 220 which is no problem and is an old style where the pump and motor are seperate. It has a bad motor, but I have another motor from an old compressor I had. If I end up getting it I will put the motor on it and hook them up together so that would double my CFM and storage. I think I can pick it up for 50.00....thoughts?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

For $50.00 it's hard to go wrong, even if the old compressor head throws oil, you can always clean the tank and increase your storage...Take the old head off and check for oil contamination in the tank...if it's got a lot of oil in it, get it steam cleaned and use it for extra storage...the only thin worse than moisture from your compressor is oil contamination and if it's old....check for that before you do anything like trying to hook it up.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.