Spread bore with square bore carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 06:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spread bore with square bore carb

If you have a dual plane spread bore intake and you are mounting a square bore (Holley) carb to it does it matter if you use and open plentum gasket instead of a square bore gasket? With the 4 hole gasket you do get the seal on the divider on the intake. Would it make any difference off idle. Just curious.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

I've used both on the same engine and noticed absolutely no difference.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Fried_guy and by the way I love your name, thanks for that.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cut the gasket to fit the manifold, any gasket material left hanging in the opening will eventually get fuel soaked and could possibly hook the throttle plates open when you least expect it or fall into the plenum...usually at WOT!

I wouldn't worry about a plenum divider seal, it won't make a difference.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:13 AM

spread bore intake with square Holley

The carb fits or bolts on ; but you need to get a plate that is a little thinner than a quarter inch . They dont put them in the intake boxes ; I dont know why! It looks like a brass or metal spacer that is open square: this makes sure there is no gasket leak (carb.) because with the spread bore intake opening there is not much of a sealing area. It might leak and it might not without this plate but it will be close. They are about 6 bucks and you can find them in the Holley parts section at the hotrod shops. Check a few different places because they are hard to find and they dont stock very many. Or you can use one of the inch thick aluminum adapter that looks like a spread bore base but tapers into a square Holley base : they are about 12 bucks. Ive used both and felt no difference. I would not just bolt the square Holley onto that s. bore intake that is not a close match at all!

Last edited by musky2; 10-28-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

I am useing a base gasket made by Holley. It's about 1/4" thick. It is the one that is open in the centre. The reason I ask is I am trying to get rid of an off idle stumble from a new Holley 670 Street Avenger. I've change cam/throttle postions, increased and decreased pump nozzle sizes, adjusted floats, check fuel pressure, Checked choke, checked vacuum advance and manifold vacuum, had 2 or 3 beer, set up fuel mixture, installed better air filter, played with timing, can't think of anything else right now but I still have a hesitation at any speed when stepping on the throttle even lightly. I had it also when taking off but managed to correct that part. It's on a 340 Dodge motor with about 15000 miles on it. Here's the other thing. The Edelbrock I took off had the same problems. I run electronic ignition, ballist resisitor and external coil. What else should I check?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.