Spread Bore VS Square Bore Advise - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Holley all the way here not a big fan of the Proform products, But not saying they don't good some good stuff on the market i am sure they do. JMO

Cole

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Intake manifolds

For a basically stock engine in a Street Rod that is DRIVEN to rod runs, I go with square bore, dual plane. If AFB carb, always use a 1" phenolic spacer to eliminate percolation. If new Edelbrock, go with regulator set at 6 psi or 6.5 psi max pump....Chevy OEM pump is about 12 psi. Edelbrock thinned the brass floats 2 years ago.....it will dribble.
Otherwise, big on EFI........
Jim, School of Hot Rod Hard Knocks, 1957
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild Rod LT-1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	61421  
Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you want a good simple carb that is easy to tune and gets decent mpg's then go with an edelbrock.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Used them all

Hey... got all that information now? More confused than when you started? I had the same question about ten years ago, and eventually went with a holley... why? Because I could afford it.... The Edelbrock performer is the easiest to install and I found that Holley has techs that will help you with anything... free... and are very knowledgeable.... The bottom line is that you go with what your intake will dictate and then I would suggest you buy something that you can afford, that works for you, and has tech support if you do not know much about carbs and rebuilding yourself. A local established parts store may be just a little more expensive, but they have to live with you too.... My Holley problem was the gas boiling in the bowl and Holley went out of their way to show me the plate I needed to divert the heat from the intake.... There... I think I added to your confusion.... final thought... no matter what you go with, it will probably be just fine for what you want...... carbs have been around forever... and for the most part, all of them are decent.....
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Ive had every design of carb on my truck and the Rochester carb was the best running one I have ever had. Initially it has all of the problems that a lot of people complain about when tuning Rochesters. After I learned how to tune it, which was really easy to do once you have done your homework, you will love that carb. Edelbrocks are slightly modified Rochester designs, because Roshesters are a little more efficient design than holleys. That's why Edelbrock has so few part numbers to cover most all applications, unlike holly. I just wish Edelbrock made a spreadbore option. Right now I have a quickfuel on the same truck, partly cause I wanted to learn how to tune them too.

Go with Edelbrock for ease of tuning, Rochester for max MPG, or a Holly style for max power, but you gotta be a pretty good tuner with the holley to realize any real difference.

Last edited by Scrumgees; 01-05-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 AM

Last photo:

Totally Agree

You summed it up very well and I totally agree with what you said. I have had them all too, and the bottom line is that anybody who tells you one is the best, he is saying that because of what he has found over the years and I respect that. I just have never ruled anything out ever. Some carbs definitely are easier to work on than others. My latest project rat rod is getting a 4.3 Chevy V6 and I searched high and low for a 1985 motor. It came with a four barrel intake stock with a carburetor. Not long after, they went with a fuel injected motor, with an expensive fuel pump system and a computer. I don't have ANY of that, good or bad. I still like to work on carbs.... and have tackled some of the toughest ones to rebuild. I figured if I screwed it up, I was no worse off than I started, unless I dropped a bolt down in it..... Have a good one....
Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 AM

Last photo:

Hey Dave,,,Arthur here,,a lot of what everyone has posted fairly answered your question,,that being,,,whats the difference between the spreadbore and squarebore.The thing that you have to keep in mind is how is the 340 that you're working with built.Is it stock,,has it been modified,so on and so on.As one of the guys posted,,the stock carb was a thermoquad,,and if tuned right,,you can't beat them.When you start getting into aftermarket fuel systems you have to take into consideration what your engine NEEDS,,that's a very important question,,,"what does it need?",,,are you cruising,,are you racing it part of the time,,,can it handle huge amounts of fuel?Everyone here is right,,,the Edelbrock Performer carb is absolutely the easiest one to tune and to work on and you can get really decent performance levels out of that carb,I run a Edelbrock 800cfm for the street and for my engine combination it performs excellantly.Holleys are tricky,,they require a lot of tuning to get them to work on the street AND the strip,,,and there are at least 15 different aftermarket variations to choose from.Edelbrock makes a good spreadbore,like the Q-jet as well as Jet-Performance and they make a really great Q-jet.Holley also makes a spreadbore,but again,,you get into the tuning of that carb just like a regular squarebore,,aka,,jetting,power valve,emulsion tubes,boosters,,so it makes the Holley version a lot more complicated when getting it dialed in.Just remember,,,answer the question,,,what does my engine need,,if it's a stock build,,I would stick with the spreadbore because that is the way it was originally built.However,,if you have any questions or need information on any of these variables,,give me a shout,,,and I can give you the websites and calculation charts for your engine combos.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh
Hey guys,

What's the difference between a spread bore and square bore carb? I'm putting it on an Edelbrock LD340 on my 340 1971 Challenger. Which do I need? I'm looking at the Holley 650 double pumper. Thanks.

Dave
Period correct and a very decent carb for this would be the Edlebrock version of the Carter. It's really an AVS rather than an AFB but 40 years later I'm not sure even the trained eye now wearing bi-focals can tell the difference.

This is a nice carb it's not quite a spread bore in terms of a really big secondary and a tiny primary bore like the Q-Jet, still it puts a smaller primary and larger secondary into a square bore box. It uses metering rods on the primaries like the Q-Jet which usually are more sensitive to cruise fuel needs than Holley's. The secondaries use an air valve like the Q-Jet which makes it harder to over-carburate the engine when you get on it and revs aren't up to where the engine can use the extra flow yet.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.