Spreadbore Rochester to Edlebrock, non junk - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2003, 09:26 PM
banned

Wiki Edits: 0

Spreadbore Rochester to Edlebrock, non junk

So yeah I have a junky rochester carb on my 305, and well CHEVY THUNDER... Is lending me me his edlebrock, performer... anyhow, yeah after pulling off the rochester we see it is spreadbore crap (nevermind the million vaccum hoses that we removed)... In any case, is there a spacer to turn a spreadbore into a squarebore? Do I need an new intake? Heheh, what if I used a dremal tool to do a little bit of "custom fabrication" if I did this methode is there any sure way to keep metal shavings outta the engine? If I get metal shavings in the engine will it last me until I have the 400 built (well maybe not THAT long)?

If the following questions were dumb, then whatever, I'm extremly bored.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Yep they indeed do make a adapter, Advance auto parts and others carry a 4 hole adapter, don`t use a open adapter, as it`ll disrupt the vacuum signal and make you loose low end power. Do me a favor stoned, don`t be too hard on Q-jets. I`ll take the sensitivity of the small primary`s and the top end power of the massive secondary`s any day.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:37 AM
banned

q-jets wouldn't be too bad IF, they were easier to adjust (just found the mixture screws and every I asked treated it like a big secret and said " need gauges to adjust that") and if they were simplified
Old 06-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

if your referring to a computer comtrolled Q-jet that`s kinda the case, but I always adjust them by ear, some use a vacuum gauge which is the proper way to adjust a carb, set it at it`s highest vacuum reading and it`s set. Q-jets aren`t complicated, there rather simple, there a "Air Dam" carb, which means exactly what it says, the inside of a Q-jet works little different than any other carb, it has a needle and seat, only it uses metering rods to meter fuel flow, and different sizes, and well as weaker springs for the power enrichment system are avalible for them as well. if you can work on the edelbrock, you can work on a Q-jet, they both use metering rods, the Edelbrock only has a squarebore pattern. take some time to look online about Q-jets, maybe take a few of the older designs apart a few times and you`ll see what I mean, there`s nothing to them. if you`ve ever driven a mild SBC with a properly tuned Q-jet, the primary is so sensitive it makes it a blast to drive, so sensitive it`s almost like fuel injection, and when you kick in it, it makes that nice sweet howl that sounds like it`s gonna suck the hood in with it.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:54 AM
banned

Well, my car being an 80s camaro is kinda undercarbed... figure this one out, the 305 HO with a different carb (still q jet) and air cleaner is a fair bit more powerful. I dunno, anyways yeah, I might just piss around wiht the q-jet till i get my 400 with a holley (I like to play with things and a holley will keep my hands busy)
Old 06-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleVision
take some time to look online about Q-jets, maybe take a few of the older designs apart a few times and you`ll see what I mean, there`s nothing to them. if you`ve ever driven a mild SBC with a properly tuned Q-jet, the primary is so sensitive it makes it a blast to drive, so sensitive it`s almost like fuel injection, and when you kick in it, it makes that nice sweet howl that sounds like it`s gonna suck the hood in with it.
Ain't that the truth ! I like 'em so well I'm puttin' one on top of a 496 Rat when my project finally gets to that stage. On a clear summer night you can hear a Q-Jet with an open element air cleaner at WOT 2 miles away ! A buddy back in the 70's had a 455 Stage 1, 4 speed, 4.56 posi Buick with a Q-Jet on top of it, we had a 1/4 mile marked out about 2 miles outside town and you could always tell when he was runnin' it through. We could hear him at the center of town like he was just a few blocks away. Of course so could the town cop.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Best way to work on Q-jets is to collect everyone else's cast offs and use them as spare parts to tune your good one.
lots of suttle differences over the years though, so interchanging parts can get tricky.
These carbs tend to seperate the men from the boys when it comes to engine tuning ability.On the street they're hard to beat once they're tuned, and they're the carb of choice in many classes of racing,(NHRA SS/GT comes to mind)
.327ci. superstocker,Q-jet,Automatic,in a 3200LB car running 9.?? in the quarter is nothing to sneeze at.
Once you can tune a Q-jet then a holley becomes child's play

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.