Spring Cleaning For The Members: Tips - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spring Cleaning For The Members: Tips

Spring Cleaning For The Members:

So you guys have been browsing and bored surfing the net all year building up tons of fragmented files on your drives, folders all over the place and more than enough junk in your browser folders. Spring is coming and in a few short steps you can have back some of that performance and speed you want with programs already installed on your comp and a couple that are free to download.

Start With The Basics:
Most still have Windows XP on their machines some have upgraded to Vista but that's for Microsoft to figure out for you since I personally wouldn't touch that operating system until the get it more right than it is. Update, Update, Update!!

Windows Update: is a must, many patches have been released and updates are there for all programs. In accessories or main menu, you'll find windows updater; it takes you right to Microsoft and scans for new updates. Most you'll want, but some you won't; choose the Custom install, not express. Uncheck Internet Explorer 7 since it's not up to par yet and the feel is not quite there, still has a few bugs in it just like any other program, Media Player 11 is also a choice you may want to reconsider downloading right away, it's not close to the same as version 10 so you may be confused at first, try it out on Microsoft’s website first to see if you would like it. All the others have their uses, so allow them to be downloaded and installed for you.

Part one is finished:

Basic Maintenance:
Besides the myriad of programs you have on your comp installed or uninstalled, that once or twice you've needed to reboot is a problem that takes the first step and a simple one. Windows again gives you all the tools to use.

System Restore: monitors and sets a restore date based on your usage times, it's good to create or make a simple back up in your system restore file. Though you may never have to use it, you can simply revert back to the last settings by "Restoring My System to an earlier date" which may come in handy one of these days. To create a new restore point before proceeding to any of the tasks below open the accessories on your menu, go to tools and click "system restore", it will give you an option of creating a new one in seconds not restore it right now, it doesn't hurt to have this, name and date are optional.

Error Checking: Is a must for the drive to see everything properly. Do this when everything is slow and you're bored but please do it first. Open your "My Computer" folder on your desktop and right click on your main drive and choose "Properties", most only have one named "C", the rest are usually disk drives or readers. Open the tab that says "Tools" and on top of the list should be "error checking", Click the "check now" and you will be prompted to begin with two choices, check only the top box "Automatically Fix File System Errors" leave the second alone. It will now say you need to reboot, please do so and allow the machine to boot showing you a blue screen as it checks for errors, Windows will start again in a few minutes with your file system properly fixed.

Defragmentation: is neccesary and most of us who don't do it thoroughly or often enough. It does take time but is essential in quick program response, it learns as you use the programs. As you install, delete, clean and run programs it will cause fragmentation all over the drive. This can be a time consuming part of the maintenance but crucial for the best performance possible, we are hotrodders right?
Again you can follow the instructions to get to the defrag section by following the above route taken for error checking, this time choosing "defragment". Unlike the older versions it will allow you to check first and tell you if you need to do this step, a 14% deframentation report says you need to do this, don't wait until 19%. Your comp should be more responsive afterwards. All programs should be closed and screensavers turned off plus any power options such as standby should be disabled for the time being, laptops are more a part of this step with power options. All this can be found in your control panel. If you really want it done right turn off your "system restore" while this takes place, just remember to turn it back on when finished.

Disk Cleanup: is just that, junk accumulated over periods of endless browsing and usage, a standard clean up is quick and painless. Same deal as above, follow the directions to the clean up utility and you will see under "general" the pie chart of the used and free space on your drive plus two options below. Leave compress files "Unchecked and then allow the clean up to begin. After searching it will show you all of the files to safely be removed uncheck or make sure the last two boxes are unchecked "Compress old files" and allow for "fast indexing", no need to remove them and it's a slow process.

You've now done your burnout and are ready to pre-stage:
Like everyone else, you keep a routine of what you do, either by basic knowledge or reflex. Reflexes probably are what made you wind up cluttering your desktop with random files and folders, pics and video's all over the place and the "My Documents" folder almost non readable anymore. To put it lightly, you were probably slacking, lol. Stay on top and be organized, create folders in your documents if that's where you like them for quick access, properly named they will make finding things a bunch easier in the end, don't just rely on what windows gave you, make it personal and things will be quick. Dated, Named or Numbered it's all good, add subfolders for many of your documents, photos and so on.

Open Up Your Desktop: All those temp shortcuts are just taking up space and not doing anything worthwhile, every program these days want to put a shortcut on your desktop, you probably still have your free AOL trial offer if you've been lacking in hitting the delete button, get rid of the junk and use what's needed. Today’s displays and people with camera's and great backgrounds are much more pleasing than folders and poorly made images to programs installed. Delete what is possible and not used often enough to drop into your "quick launch bar".

Setting Up "Quick Launch" is simple, right click on the blue bar below your screen and choose toolbars, check "Quick Launch" and you can now drag shortcuts into this bar for launching fast without going to your menu.

Clean It Out before Staging:
Since we're all looking at the clock the bar next to the clock tells you of performance you can find by shutting off programs running in the background, granted some are needed, most aren't, like signing onto AIM, Messenger, Quick Time Scheduler, MS Money, Task Scheduler and tons more are down there hogging resources for no reason other than a millisecond longer if you just opened the program. A quick trip to http://www.PCpitstop.com will tell you what is needed with a quick full scan anonymously and what isn't, you don't have to buy anything just copy and paste what they recommend to be gone and release all kinds of memory.

Slamming On The Brakes: Deletion is like slamming on the brakes and screaming into a wall at high speed, it's better to tap them than hit them hard so be gentle when deleting things. Photo's stuff saved, old documents and such are OK, but you better beware of deleting a program, this is as bad as it gets "See Slamming On The Brakes" as a caution above. Deleting a program will get you in a world of hurt after a reboot and finding needed files missing from other programs, use the uninstaller that came with the program or go into the control panel under "Add Or Remove Programs" and seek them out for a safe uninstall. You'll be much happier in the end.

Remember that you're still in FREE territory and will be for a few more steps.

You came to the races prepared knowing where all of even the smallest tools are in your box to the largest of them. Same goes for your "start menu", by adding programs and shortcuts you might be looking at a menu three levels wide and full of stuff unneeded. You can right click and choose "sort by name"; I find alphabetical works for me, probably you too. You can also move or combine programs of the same type by creating a folder and moving the programs into it named Office, Graphics, Internet, Camera, and so on. You can also move folders into a lesser used section of the menu by holding the left button of your mouse down and dragging it up the menu to maybe your accessories, as that folder expands, you slide it over and then drop it to the lowest part of the sub menu, kinda like playing "Tetris" only with folders.

Break Out The Tuning: is a quick way to release the needed room on your drive for quick dick usage and only using the space really designed for this. Your disk cache for your space. Most comps come with a default set thousands of times larger than needed, why, I don't know. Adjust this setting and you'll find more performance and less cleaning afterwards. There is a large amount of space taken by your system restore that shouldn't have been gone into in just the basic cleaning.
Your System Restore can be set as high as 180 gigs by default when in reality only a fraction of your hard drive space is needed. Through your control panel, go to "System" and open the "System Restore" again. You will see a slider marked in megabytes and a percentage; slide that baby down to around 2,000 megabytes minimal or 2 to 3 percent. Boom, instant speed with no effort. This is one of the best performance enhancers.

I Want Cookies: I hate to say it but one of the worst decisions is to delete your cookies, windows and a few other free programs like ad aware and spybot will take care of the bad ones, your virus protection and firewall will also have you covered in most areas. The best way to remove content stored is to easily delete your offline content, this is stored in a "Cache" to make browsing easier but you may be looking at dated material since it's a copy of older data. When in internet explorer, click on tools at the top and a pane will appear, Choose "internet options" and in the middle you'll see an area stating delete cookies, delete files, and settings. Choose "Delete Files" another small box opens and allows you to check "Delete Offline Content", do this and wait a few seconds, what was done is done right, passwords stored are still there, browsing isn't affected in the least, no more logging in if you are that type to stay logged in. This one's a no brainer and simple.

You May Need To Spend Now "Optional"

Picking Up some ET and Power: Both are part of this equation and essential for making the most out of your digital days on the net or through various media you use for yourself. Just the thought of losing everything you have on your comp through a virus or a hard drive crash is enough to sicken you. All the baby photos, good times with family and friends or that folder full of all the music you downloaded or paid for will be gone if you don't back it up on something.

Add Some Power: If your comp is so old it struggles to open even the smallest program, the digital age has you beat, a full computer upgrade may be what you want, relatively cheap nowadays bundled they are at a decent price, but there's always options when you have a fairly quick comp and even the best can be made quicker with the same additions coming up.

Power Per Cubic Inch:
Hard drive space as in "Physical Memory" not "Ram" is the space all data is stored on, spinning platters of 0's and 1's. Older computers have a 5,400RPM drive with a small on drive "Cache" of usually 2 to 8 megs even some of the lesser inexpensive new ones also are still using them. Grabbing a drive that is rated at 7,200 the norm right now with a 16 Meg cache, 32 Megs are available; is a huge boost. 10,000 RPM's are coming up quick and they too will disappear when hard drives go solid state completely. It would be like adding cubic inches to stay safe. Hard drive failures are one of the worst calamities to happen, expensive to try and regain info lost or never getting it back. Backup Drives are worth their weight in gold so as not to lose anything you've felt the need to keep forever, priced quite inexpensive, these in case or fire wire / usb drives will always have your info stored on them. Places on the net even allow up to 50 Megs of free storage to back up particular files.

Add The Power: Adding more RAM is the most cost effective and efficient method available for a major boost in performance, any comp will benefit whether high or low end of the scale. So simple to install a caveman could do it. Most comps have 512 megs installed but today’s operating systems and programs call for more at least 1 gigabyte is wanted to perform tasks. Some motherboards will accept upwards of 8 gigabytes but usually 2 will do fine or even 1, doubling your memory. Boost is instant with this.

A Clean / Cool Machine: For anything to work and stay working it has to be clean on all parts that are cooled, hence the need for those extra fans or just plain taking a air duster can and small vacuum to it. Your case, power supply, computer chip, and some video cards have a fan installed to route heat away in the proper direction or flow o the proper opening to release. Humidity doesn't play a part in cooling since these parts are metal and silicon, your processor can be running over 100 degree's on a cool day if all area's have some blockage, dust, hair, the Christmas cards that fell behind it and blocked the opening, your hand bag placed in front of the intake and so on. Clean it up!!, laptops should always be raised off bedspreads and pillows to allow the air to flow under them like they need.

I hope some of this helps you as a primer for adding to your net experience in a way that will make you happier and less fatigued when using your comp. There are still hundreds of small improvements that I would recommend a fried with some decent background to apply such as removing bad registry entries, using MSconfig to disable start up items and more. There are third party programs that will do this for you just be wary of poorly written programs that do nothing but make more run on your comp. Now plan a time to do some of this and make the most out of the upcoming season and your time on the net.

Copy and paste this to your text program and save for a time to just follow the above instructions, even if it's a few of them, impact will be noticable.

Sincerely Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Buy a Mac and avoid the BS, I know and use 3 operating systems Unix, Mac and windoze every week, for quite awhile, want a computer that works and you do not have to clean house or defrag to have speed, trash that micro-crap.......... windoze is the most overrated,worst operating, swiss cheese security and the easiest hacked OS out here. Oh the micro-stupid OS is good at machine control cause it is one step above punch card, relay operated machines but that is the only advantage. And oh yes it keeps the support people employed, telling their customers to reboot and buy upgrades, forgot the sale angle of the whole thing.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:30 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
Buy a Mac and avoid the BS, I know and use 3 operating systems Unix, Mac and windoze every week, for quite awhile, want a computer that works and you do not have to clean house or defrag to have speed, trash that micro-crap.......... windoze is the most overrated,worst operating, swiss cheese security and the easiest hacked OS out here. Oh the micro-stupid OS is good at machine control cause it is one step above punch card, relay operated machines but that is the only advantage. And oh yes it keeps the support people employed, telling their customers to reboot and buy upgrades, forgot the sale angle of the whole thing.
I was going to state at the end to just get a MAC, I know it's better in all ways, and alot of us in school were brought up on them but went to windows in 95 when MS took over most of the PC operating systems that you could buy. I would love a MAC Pro.

Vista is coming to a quick death for the PC users with the worst OS ever for PC's.

I feel your pain.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

No pain here, and the info you provided was good I just had to do my mico rant, it's must be a Mac thing .. lol
Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Vista is coming to a quick death for the PC users with the worst OS ever for PC's.
Actually Vista Home Premium works well for me on my new laptop... no problems with it at all. My biggest problem is navigating all of the different menus in Microsoft Office 2007 Pro... I'm used to Office 2003 in my work computer.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Ubuntu works beautifully for me:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Free! Fast! Reliable! Secure!

Dunc.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUSS
Actually Vista Home Premium works well for me on my new laptop... no problems with it at all. My biggest problem is navigating all of the different menus in Microsoft Office 2007 Pro... I'm used to Office 2003 in my work computer.
Try _any_ other operating system on that laptop and you will see a significant improvement in performance. Why? Because MS Vista checks every 30 ms to see if you have permission to use your computer, permission to use your data, and whether you've altered either. (See A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection by Peter Gutmann).

Quote:
Full text: Microsoft execs on Vista problems

For example, one February 2007 exchange (PDF, 17 pages) started with an e-mail to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer from board member Jon Shirley, who explained that he upgraded one of his computers to Windows Vista only to find it was experiencing compatibility problems with two of Microsoft's own MSN applications. Shirley wasn't upgrading his other computer because of a lack of hardware drivers. As many early Windows Vista users know, Shirley wasn't the only one experiencing those kinds of problems, especially in the initial months after release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_m
Ubuntu works beautifully for me:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Free! Fast! Reliable! Secure!

Dunc.
Bah, humbug -- you probably just click for updates. A mouse is for clicking multiple tabs in browsers, or multiple desktops, or drawing! Real geeks (see my propeller beanie?) update by typing:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Isn't there a law somewhere that says you can't do it your way, you have to do it mine? Oh, wait, no, instead of a EULA that says we 'must not under penalty of law', we have a license that says you're free and I'm free to do just about whatever.

Current "normal packages" installed on my system as reported by 'apt-cache stats' == 15697. Number I have to worry about keeping updated, maintaining, or other "spring cleanup" == 0. Number of times I have to reboot or restart for updates == 0. Being free of the worry and trouble that Microsoft foists on unsuspecting users == priceless.

Old folks can still teach us all a few things:
86 Year Old Great-Grandmother Hoists The Jolly Roger (language warning)
Quote:
Alice is not your typical 86 year old Great Grandmother. Her demeanor is as salty as her language, and regardless of your age, those of thin skin do not fare well around her. It seems to me that she can sniff a "sensitive soul" out like a barn cat finds mice...I am beginning to think the mice fare much better. She has no patience with undecisive or soft-spoken people. I knew it was Alice immediately upon answering the phone.
[...]
I laughed and was sincerely glad to hear her voice. "Well, hello Alice, Just what have you broken now?"

"It's not mine thats screwed up...It's Betty's and the G** **** CD won't play."

I thought quickly about the citizens at this particular center. Ah, THAT Betty...I remembered now. She was one of the only ones that would not let us put PCLinuxOS on her computer. She liked her Windows XP, and even had a legitimate copy of it. You don't argue with someone that was welding rivets into a B-29 before you were born. You do as they ask.
[asterisks in the original]

Alice is a riot.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I have tried to learn about Linux, on several occasions...So did my son. (he is a bunch smarter than me),We found that the learning curve was too great, the language too strange, and the "free"software too much hassle to get on a computer.... and so we gave up. (Why I seemed to have to pay to get free software was somewhat of a conumdrum , but again the language that the geeks speak is strange to me...)

Yes we happily ditched a copy of totally non updatable or upgradeable "lindows", (sorry Grouch, we tried to get it together several times with that program and it just would not work for us.), and put a copy of XP on his 'puter.

So we slog forth with evil MS programs in blissful ignorance, but at least we can use them. We can get things to print with the software that comes with the printer, ( we can use word processing software and even post stuff on the internet. My computer has no problems with being slow, or not working without constantly updating.

I'm very happy with what I have because I know it.

My son is much happier with his box now, and he uses it to it's full advantage, whereas before, he would ask to use mine.

All that being said, we bought our daughter a Mac laptop, she seems very happy with it.

That Mac system seems strange to me as well.

I read a newspaper the other day...it was very nice to not have to wait for ads to load before I saw the story, and I was able to scroll through entire full page stories without clicking on anything.

I like paper catalogs too.

It is time for a defrag on my evil empire approved hard drive ...even I can notice an improvement after that..

I'm not saying that you folks who like unix stuff are wrong, but I don't slight anyone for not liking the Grateful Dead or Frank Zappa like I do either.

It's all in what fits you.

I don't do change well, I still miss my 3.1 and to a greater extent, my windows 2000 ...

Now I have windows XP, and after 2 years ...I'm starting to get used to it.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-13-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

Mikey: I'm going to go through your post with some responses, but I want to preface it with a clear statement that I'm not trying to sell you anything, except the idea that you might not have seen what you think you did. (You got a pig with lipstick but were told it was a beauty queen). It's your bidness and your choice at the end of it all, still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
I have tried to learn about Linux, on several occasions...So did my son. (he is a bunch smarter than me),We found that the learning curve was too great, the language too strange, and the "free"software too much hassle to get on a computer.... and so we gave up.
This tells me two things:
1. It's been a while.
2. The one you tried didn't fit you.

Language? Learning curve? A mouse, keyboard, monitor and clickies are the same. Therefore, this lights a yellow caution.

Quote:
(Why I seemed to have to pay to get free software was somewhat of a conumdrum , but again the language that the geeks speak is strange to me...)
Red flags and sirens are going off...

Quote:
Yes we happily ditched a copy of totally non updatable or upgradeable "lindows", (sorry Grouch, we tried to get it together several times with that program and it just would not work for us.), and put a copy of XP on his 'puter.
Bingo! "Lindows" became "Linspire" in 2004 after Microsoft finally found a court (Belgium, if I recall correctly) which agreed that the word "windows" could be trademarked. Linspire is a sort of black sheep of "Linux" -- they made an obnoxious patent deal with Microsoft and charge people for an update service that is little more than a mirror of (completely free, as in source and cost) the Debian archives.

I tried Lindows 1 time and never even completed the installation. Wouldn't touch it for pay. It even has a slimey EULA that barely skirts violation of the GPL.

Quote:
So we slog forth with evil MS programs in blissful ignorance, but at least we can use them.
Some MS programs do indeed reflect the evil (deliberate harm to others for selfish purposes) behavior of Microsoft, which is thoroughly documented. (Lots of court documents in MS execs' own words).

Blissful ignorance? I am ignorant of the feeling that comes from building a hotrod. I intend to correct that, rather than say that I can use all my humdrum beaters and have maintained them myself for years.

You were sold an overpriced, underpowered, hybrid Edsel with a Briggs and Stratton in a kit with an engrish instruction manual missing half the pages and think you've seen what all hotrods are like.

Quote:
We can get things to print with the software that comes with the printer,
My Photosmart printer, my monochrome laser, my 4800 dpi scanner all worked without me having to install drivers. Sure, I picked brands and models that I knew would work, but that's no different than making sure I buy the right tire for a wheel. Lots of good choices; few bad ones.

This is one of the failings of MS Windows: The operating system does not support anything beyond basic hardware. Most hardware drivers are written by manufacturers with no access to other drivers to determine overlap or conflict and with no access to the bulk of the operating system. The hodgepodge of disparate support code alters the operating system and leads to such things as registry corruption, BSODs, unpredictable behavior (including unexplainable reboots and crashes) and atrocious security.

Most hardware on a Linux-based system is supported "out of the box" with drivers maintained by the kernel developers. This gives a coherent, maintainable, open code base. I toss the CDs and DVDs that come with hardware because the stuff already works. Some laptops, some wireless cards and a few printers are known to be paperweights because the manufacturers are too secretive about how to 'talk' to certain devices. Many have figured out that there's no cheaper way to provide long-term support for their products than to let the kernel guys fix the code. (Recent example: AMD bought ATI and is now cranking out documentation about the video cards' internal workings for the Linux developers. They had to -- Intel has already done it for theirs).

Quote:
(even the we can use word processing software and even post stuff on the internet.
You'd probably be familiar with the user interface of OpenOffice.org -- it's made to make MS Office users comfy. It also reads and saves to more MS Office formats than any given version of MS Office can. As for posting on the Internet, Firefox works lots better than IE. It's the main reason MS was forced to bring IE development out of hibernation. BTW, hotrodders.com runs on Linux, just as Google, Amazon and lots of others.

Quote:
My computer has no problems with being slow, or not working without constantly updating.
My first motorcycle was a 1966 Honda 160 CB Twin. I thought it was fast. Guess what I thought about it after getting a Kawasaki KZ 1000.

If you are not updating that system, I sincerely hope you don't run it without a hardware firewall between it and the Internet or that you don't have anything personally identifiable on it. Bot-nets sell by the thousands of compromised MS Windows systems on the ad- and spamware market. It's cheaper for the spammers than paying for their own bandwidth and servers.

If I could reach you, I'd set up a truly free system just for you. I've read enough of your posts to know a little about your thinking and enough to bet my front-row seat in hell that after 3 months you would be as likely to go back to MS Windows as you would give up hotrodding for a rubber-band powered skateboard.

OT: Why is this thread in the Lounge? What, specifically, does it have to do with hotrodding? I mean, it's fascinating to me and I could talk about it forever (with links!), but it's about spring cleaning computers, not garages or hotrods.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouch
You were sold an overpriced, underpowered, hybrid Edsel with a Briggs and Stratton in a kit with an engrish instruction manual missing half the pages and think you've seen what all hotrods are like.

Cmon now, don't insult my intelligence like that.

Last year I traded 10 hours work on a custom Harley for a 2 year old IBM ,(not a clone), with a 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 processor with a 30 G hard drive that had been wiped and a fresh legal copy of XP professional with all of the office programs installed, a new copy of McAfee for businesses , all registered to me and verified. The guy I got it from is a McAfee executive, and I've known him as a friend for over 20 years...(since way before he worked for them.)

I know the hard drive is small, but I don't load games or music or movies on my box so things will work for a while. My last computer had a 10 gig hard drive and I never filled it up.

I've owned and used other computers, and some folks have played around with this one.....It works fine.

I like what I have, you like what you have. The linux stuff did not fit me.

I don't think I got bamboozeled at all.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

I read these posts with a smile - 'cause everyone has a "better idea". The interesting thing is that they are all great ideas, but in my case and it sounds like Mikey's as well, all we want to do is to push a single button on the 'puter case, have the monitor light up, click the mouse button a few times and be on line. If you're a gamer or a movie watcher (why on that little screen?) or download a bunch of music, maybe some of the esoteric programs/OS's would be suitable

I'm on XP Home Premium instead of XP Pro(I pushed the wrong button when the order for the parts for this new 'puter I built was placed). I tried Linux for a couple of days then dumped it and went back to XP. While Linux does look like a reasonable alternative to XP, I too felt that the learning curve was too steep. Since I've been using MS since the days of DOS and V1.0, said to myself - nahhhh. I don't use IE. It is crap!!! If it booted me off the internet once a day I considered myself lucky. Usually it was 8-10 times. Firefox - once, maybe, since January.

Is my PC, Vista ready? Sure is, but I'm not. With XP I have my Open Office as well as my MS Office 97. Neither will work with Vista. I also have my older version of Photoshop which also doesn't work with Vista.

Do I have "enough" computer. Yep, an AMD Athlon 64 X2 - 3800 2.0 GHz, 500W power supply, 2G RAM, 320G WD hard drives and an 80Gb external for pictures only.

The AMD CPU is middle of the road, but light years ahead of my Dell POS. Will I eventually upgrade - possibly in a year or two - and if the successor to Vista is any good, might even go that way, but not right away.

Would I like to have a MAC? Sure would, they're pricey though and homebuilt MACs are built out of 'unobtanium materials' plus I want to be able to go to my local guy if I need a part on Saturday afternoon. Choices for bits and pieces are limited.

I do like the tune up post - and will use it to clean some garbage off my machine regardless of the fact it's almost new.

Dave W
Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Cmon now, don't insult my intelligence like that.
No insult intended, at all. I'm not dumb, but I don't know jack about automobile paints. You're not dumb, but you don't know jack about free software (no, that's not the same as "freeware").

Quote:
I like what I have, you like what you have. The linux stuff did not fit me.
Heh. "The linux stuff" -- very much like saying "the tool stuff". 'I tried the Acme FauxMetal Pockt Mekn-ik and the tool stuff did not fit me.' See, "the linux stuff" literally runs from watches, microwaves, telephones and automatic cow milkers, to kiosks in malls to grids of supercomputers. When you're allowed to modify it any way you please, people tend to do just that. The standing joke is that there are more distributions than there are users.

Quote:
I don't think I got bamboozeled at all.
With Lindows, you did. With the computer, I have no idea. The value of 10 hours of work by me on a Harley would likely be a negative amount. At the end of it, the guy might offer the PC as a bribe to get me to just step away from the bike.

I'm running a P4 2.4 GHz Intel Perl motherboard with 512 MB DDR RAM, with 2 Seagate 160 GB drives and 1 at 300 GB. It has a Radeon 9250 video card and a pchdtv card. The Benq DVD+R/RW drive is about shot (too much smoke, I think, so it may just need cleaning), but that's no big deal because I'd rather pass off DVD burning to the old PIII 866 sitting beside me. I run 6 desktops on this computer, and they're always filled. I have 15 tabs open in Mozilla (never got around to changing my stuff to Firefox) at the moment, a spreadsheet, Thunderbird for email, and a pile of rxvt (command line, terminal emulators).

My wife won't tolerate more than 2 things open on hers -- email and browser. Change one button or icon and she will raise the roof. She does tolerate having an extra desktop so that my daughter or I can sit down at her computer to do something without disturbing her stuff.

You got bamboozled with Lindows. It promises simplicity but delivers duplicity. While every distribution *must* permit you to customize, they don't all start out the same.

Some distributions truly deliver simplicity, even from the first installation -- "put the coaster in the cupholder, reboot, click, go". Some are suited only to old greybeard UNIX gurus -- they require you to control every little thing just to get started.

Remember that the OLPC's XO laptop is intended for children who have never used a computer and may not have anyone around to teach them. The operating system has to protect itself, protect the child, encourage the child to explore, and be easily navigated. It runs GNU/Linux for those and other reasons.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I read these posts with a smile - 'cause everyone has a "better idea". The interesting thing is that they are all great ideas, but in my case and it sounds like Mikey's as well, all we want to do is to push a single button on the 'puter case, have the monitor light up, click the mouse button a few times and be on line.

[...]

I do like the tune up post - and will use it to clean some garbage off my machine regardless of the fact it's almost new.

Dave W
Strangely, your last paragraph completely contradicts your first. I started reading down the tune up post and all I could think of was that if getting online and using a computer required all that garbage, I'd toss the thing in the garbage.

If your computer requires _any_ of those tune up tips, you most certainly do NOT have it as easy as you imply with the first paragraph of your post.

I wouldn't tolerate a system requiring that much maintenance and aggravation.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
Strangely, your last paragraph completely contradicts your first. I started reading down the tune up post and all I could think of was that if getting online and using a computer required all that garbage, I'd toss the thing in the garbage.

If your computer requires _any_ of those tune up tips, you most certainly do NOT have it as easy as you imply with the first paragraph of your post.

I wouldn't tolerate a system requiring that much maintenance and aggravation.
I guess then you really have a definition problem with the words "some garbage".
Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The funny thing about all this is you will never get a Linux person to budge on their stance.
Linux is just not flexible enough for the average person

Standard are all over the place.

Program installation come in all different flavors, tar, gzip, rpm, etc and it seems no two install the same way.

I have been working on computers since 1975 and have seen many operating systems. The ones that survive are both well supported by the third parties and the big name Vendors.
A lot of the vendors were offering Linux as a desktop for a while but most abandoned it due to the support nightmares it caused.
I have a Linux box I use for my networking tools, it is real good for that. As a desktop operating system it still lacks functionality, lacks application support, and it has a limited driver support set.

For a seasoned computer person it may be an alternative from a price standpoint but not a feature standpoint.
A well setup XP box will run just fine and can be setup to be very secure.

Most of the documentation is written in geek speak so it makes it hard for the average user to warm up to it.

When ever I use Linux it brings me back to my CPM days.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.