Spring Height???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spring Height????

Crew - How critical or how close does spring height need to be? I am installing a comp cams Magnum kit with the lifters, timing, springs, etc. They say 105 lbs @ 1.7 and If I'm measuring correctly, I get 1.78". The way I'm measuring is from the bottom seat where the spring sits to the very "flattened" end of the spring, not including the retainer. This with the valve closed and the little retainer clips in.

ANy help? I'm wondering if that's ok or I really need to do valve shims? Its an otherwise stock crate 350.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt00c
Crew - How critical or how close does spring height need to be? I am installing a comp cams Magnum kit with the lifters, timing, springs, etc. They say 105 lbs @ 1.7 and If I'm measuring correctly, I get 1.78". The way I'm measuring is from the bottom seat where the spring sits to the very "flattened" end of the spring, not including the retainer. This with the valve closed and the little retainer clips in.

ANy help? I'm wondering if that's ok or I really need to do valve shims? Its an otherwise stock crate 350.

Thanks for the advice!!!!
Your measuring correctly. The spring's force is related directly to installed height. It appears you'll need .08 inch worth of shims.

Are these aluminum heads? They are made for a hard seat under the spring and usually takes more to adjustment to get to proper height. Another consideration is stem length, and or how deep the valves set in their seats. Shooting seats and regrinding valves sinks them into the head which makes the stem look longer when measured back to the spring seat. Some of these are also sized for positive rotators and or oil shields that fit under the retainers which reduces spring length when they are used.

You need to watch the location of the bottom of the spring, if you shim it too high it will need a cup to keep it located under the retainer, most auto machine shops have this stuff if it's needed. Cups come as innies and outties, if your outside cups are easier and necessary if your running triple springs. Inners tend to orbit the the guide boss unless they and the boss are machined for a tight fit.

Bogie
Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Thanks.. no, these are GM stock iron heads.. likely smoggers since its a crate motor circa 77-79 years.

Whats odd, is that I've changed 2 more valves, and they are measuring spot on... just that first one seemed to have a taller height.

Do i really need to shim or you think I'll be ok?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks.. no, these are GM stock iron heads.. likely smoggers since its a crate motor circa 77-79 years.

Whats odd, is that I've changed 2 more valves, and they are measuring spot on... just that first one seemed to have a taller height.

Do i really need to shim or you think I'll be ok?
I rather think, from 2000 miles away, that what you say on that first valve is an example of a seat that had to be cut deep to get a good surface and or a refaced valve that took a big cut, this would set the valve into the valve/port pocket which will make the stem appear longer, or you've got and odd ball stem, they're out there.

I'd advise you shim where necessary, it isn't all that unusual, though .08 is getting kind of thick. They're, shims that is, usually found in .015, .030, and .060 inch thicknesses. You can run multiples if you want; example would be .060 plus a .015 making .075 which is only .005 off perfect.

Bogie
Old 05-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

New info...

Well, I've caught on to a trend. The intake valves are spot on around 1.70". The exhaust valves seem to consistently be 1.78" or 1.79". I think this is because these stock GM heads have the "rotater" retainers on the exhaust valves that allowed them to rotate. They are thicker than the stock intake valve spring retainers.

That said, looking like I'm going to have to use some shims on the exhaust valve side; however none of the parts stores locally have them.

Can I shim about .05 or .06 without having a bowl type thing under the spring to keep things in place?
Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well, I've caught on to a trend. The intake valves are spot on around 1.70". The exhaust valves seem to consistently be 1.78" or 1.79". I think this is because these stock GM heads have the "rotater" retainers on the exhaust valves that allowed them to rotate. They are thicker than the stock intake valve spring retainers.

That said, looking like I'm going to have to use some shims on the exhaust valve side; however none of the parts stores locally have them.

Can I shim about .05 or .06 without having a bowl type thing under the spring to keep things in place?
Yes the stock GM heads used a rotator so if you're not, that distance should be made up with a shim.

I'm surprised that they are not available locally as any automotive machine shop will require them. But here's a few choices for you to pick from, mail without putting Fed Ex on the trail is usually about 2 days even here at the far end of the country.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...1&autoview=sku

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...11305_-1_11071

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...CATID=734.html

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=VALVESHIM

Bogie
Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

You can also use -.050 locks along with a .030 shim under the spring.

Sometimes stacking .080 of shim under the spring leaves nothing to keep the spring from walking.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.