Spring height?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Spring height??

I've got my '46 Chevy Panel that I'm working on and have a problem with the front springs. I had asked a question before about the way it was sitting and was told the springs were to tall. Well I'm going to go back and redo the front this weekend but I can not find anyplace that tells me how tall they should be to start with. This is what I've got now, '46 Chevy 1/2T Panel truck with a SBC 350/400TH, Must II front end with stock type control arms. Does anyone know how tall the springs should be in this set-up??

Thanks folks
David

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 09:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dave, does your front springs bow in a little too much for your liking? Mine does this also and they feel real stiff also, It seems to me that they need to be cut down a 1/2 of a spring? I'm toying with doing this with mine, but not to that point yet, still working on brakes etc, If you fix yours let me know, thanks, Dana, I also have Must II front end!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:23 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

David, here is how to take the guess work out of the problem. First, get all the weight on the front end that will be there when the panel is finished. Some of this may be guess work, but you can get close. Then you need to find out how much weight is supported by the front suspension. Having access to wheel scales helps here. Now you set the lower control arms parallel to the garage floor with no springs installed and measure the distance between the upper and lower spring mounting surfaces. This is the proper ride height. The kits I have installed have had pre cut rods for this operation. Regardless, you then compute your unloaded spring length by using the weight the spring must support. Springs are rated by how much weight it takes to compress it one inch so if your front end weight is 1600 pounds, then each spring will support 800 pounds. Now your decision is to pick the rate you want. In this case I would pick a 375 pound spring that is 2 1/8 inches longer than the distance you obtained above.

I would not cut a spring unless I knew what rate it has.

There is a lot of details in the Knowledge Base if you want to do some searching.

Trees

Last edited by trees; 05-30-2004 at 08:29 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.