Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - spring loaded hose clamps
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think you are reffering to Constant tension clamps.see photo.
They are superior to a gear drive clamp, when sized correctly. Lots available aftermarket.
They get there name because of the way they work. As a hose softens and gets a little deformed, they keep "constant tension" on the hose and will prevent leakage after a replacement hose is installed.
lots of myths surround these clamps, but they are mostly just that, myths.
Ever see one on hose you cant reach, like on the hose under the intake of a 4.6 liter ford moduler engine. If you change that hose, it will be with the intake off, as you cant do it any other way. Point is, if you use a gear drive clamp, after the hose softens and the clamp needs retightened as it will, or it will seep or leak, you cant reach it to tighten. BUT if you use a constant tension clamp, it will keep tension on the hose constant, so .. no leak.
There is a tool for installing them/removing them. Being a flat rate line technician I re use them whenever I can, as with the correct tool, they install so quick your head will spin.There are also many times where you wont be able to turn a gear drive clamp because of its proximity to other parts.
The tool is pictured below also. FWIW
Also last photo bump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clamps.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	65404   Click image for larger version

Name:	41PCWTGFGBL.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	65405   Click image for larger version