Hot Rod Forum banner

Spring Shackles at correct angle? Wrong Axle?

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Frisco 
#1 ·
I purchased the traditional air setup from cenpen speed shop. You can see the setup at: http://www.cenpen.com/traditionalair.htm

The owner told me that any size axle would work with the setup. So I ordered a Bell axle measuring roughly 34" from spring perch centers. However, at ride height, the shackles are completely vertical, with the shackle mount for the perch on top and the shackle mount for the leaf on bottom. There is nearly 1/16" of clearance from the shackles to the axle. When I lower the car 4", the shackle end that mounts the leaf comes close to contacting the spring perch itself.

Not having any previous rodding experience, I do not know if this is sufficient or even possible for good ride quality. Does it sound like a bad idea to keep this axle, or would it be a better idea to go with a bigger perch to perch distance?

#2 · (Edited)
I am not familiar with the front air suspension you have the link to. Perhaps that is the way the suspension appears when dropped to the lowest level (No air in system).

For info concerning the more traditional front end straight axle setup I submit the following info.

The angle of the shackles with full vehicle weight should be about 45 degrees.

To correct your installation, you will need a shorter main leaf or swap the axle out for one where the spring perches are further apart.

Go to this LINK for info on how to measure for the correct spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.