Spring Vs Spindle in S-10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 10:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spring Vs Spindle in S-10

So there is a kit in this catolog that i am looking at. Either i could buy a lowering spring for the truck or i could buy a drop spindle to lower it. I can emagine that i could buy both and have a really low truck but i am not going for that effect but more handeling and ride. I plan on dropin the truck 3/4 or 2/3 There is also the block kit for the rear suspension or i could buy a leaf spring that will have the truck lowered also.
Which one would be best for riding and handleling? for the front and the rear
the truck i have is an S-10 88 and i plan on doing the V8 swap in it. another question is in the catolog there is only the option of having the 4 or 6 cylinder. which one do i choose if i want to go the V8 method. right now the truck has the 2.5L Thanks for your time
PS any suggestions on shocks?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 PM

Well lowering, I like spindles and I did blocks. They also make a flip kit for the rear which I think is better. Blocks dont hold under poer that well that I have noticed. Is your truck a long or a short bed. If it is a short bed a 2/3 drop should be good. Since your truck has a 4 cyl in it, go with a spring out of a v6 because it is stiffer Depending on what all you take off of the truck during the conversion( as in weight) really should make the difference. my truck sits up in the front because of what i removed and I still have the stock springs in(v6). Shocks really depends on if you lower it and how far. now im done rambling
Old 02-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The V8 will lower it considerably. The best street setup is probably stiffer springs and lowering spindles. Spring rates get screwed up when you just put a lowering spring on it or leave the 4 cylinder springs with the V8. On my truck I did the 4 cylinder springs and V8 because the springs have "stored energy" when compressed and it will help with weight transfer. You can see ride hieght in my album to get an idea. Of course my truck is built with the track in mind.

Chris
Old 02-11-2004, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

The short springs hurt the ride a bit, but I put dropped spindles on my S truck and the turning radius and steering effort in turns borders on unacceptable. Heavy V-8 and no power steering.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Yep, mine is real hard to turn with the V-8 and manual steering. How does the spindle effect turn radius?

Chris
Old 02-11-2004, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Like chris, I left the 2.4 springs on my V8 Sonoma. They feel pretty soft on the road. I'm hoping to tighten things up a bit with stouter shocks. A future mod will be to use spindles...but that's for later. I used a 2" block in the back and do not like it. It is just a little too much. I'm going to try a 1" and see how that looks. I've heard that some traction bars won't work with blocks, but I haven't tried them yet.

My 2.4 came with power steering which I just hooked up to the pump that cam on the engine I got from the wrecker. It works OK...in fact it is almost too easy. Almost no road feel. The turn radius is super short with a standard cab, 2WD and a short bed.

Dave
Old 02-11-2004, 09:18 PM

It depends how low you want your truck,lower than 3"in front you will have to go with spindle and springs,just 2"in front you can go with spindle only.spindles give a good ride and keep your
alignment normal.if you put just springs the tires tend to set in toward the engine making it hard to get camber into spec.
in the rear you have many options,1-2-3-4-5"blocks they get the job done but you need to be aware of local laws in the state you live in,here is why.the 4-5"blocks place the u-bolt nuts lower than the rim (15" and smaller)and in some states nothing can hang lower than the front or rear wheels.thats why belltech offers the rear leafspring kit.I would put the v8 in first and then lower it.

good luck
Old 02-12-2004, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the replys
What i am going for is to lower it just a little. maybe the 2/3 drop. I don't want to go for a real low rider, just enought to give it better handeling.
But i am some what confused, Should i keep the 4 cyl springs in the front or go with v6 springs and just out of curiosity what is "stored energy"? I think what i got out of it is use 6 cyl springs and if nothing else just try both i guess.
Just to tell you it is a short bed truck. This truck pretty much has no options and i am going to try to give it some. So powerstering i am going to try to add and give it better handeling. I heard from someone that a stearing box from a 99 S-10 will work in place of the older one and give it a "tighter" feel to the stearing. Has anyone else done this? does it require much conversion?

Also (i am probably asking way to much out of one truck but it is fun to try to see what works) how can I get a smooth ride with leaf springs? I drive it now and i feel every bump on the road. Is there anything i can do to smooth that out?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

What I meant by stored energy has to do with the overly compressed spring. When running a light spring that is full length and loaded higher than actually designed, the spring will tend to help lift the front end on launch and transfer weight to the rear. This is because as the front end trys to lift, the spring will help push it up further than would short spring heavy spring that is hardly compressed. The further the front end comes up, the more weight is transfered to the rear tires. This is important in traction challenged vehicles with poor weight distribution ie: pickups.

Chris
Old 02-12-2004, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Just to add to what Chris is saying, when the front lifts the good part is that weight transfers to the rear wheels...the bad part is that it affects handiling by making the truck (mine anyway) feel sort of loosey-goosey (whatever that means). It is too bouncy. Chris is running FAR more power than I am... twice as much or even more, as I have a stone stock 5.7 vortec in mine, Truth is, I'm not having serious problems hooking in mine ,,, but I do have a problem with spring wrap. Take a look at some of Chris's pics and you'll see what he is having to do with his for traction.

I'm not thrilled with the power steering in mine. It's nice when I parallel park, but other than that it is too powerful (too little road feel).

Good luck,

Dave
Old 02-13-2004, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

To be quiet honest, I have not yet been able to test my setup. But, research and talking to fello racers has lead me to the setup I described. For anything other than drag racing I would suggest getting drop spindles or springs over what I am doing.

Bluesman, sounds like you need a set of heavy duty shocks if you are bouncing. I am not an expert there, but my guess would be that S-10's do not come with very good shocks due to the light weight. Just not needed, but the aftermarket could fix you up.

I will be getting some 90/10's mysself, but those are not recommended for the street.

Chris
Old 02-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

If you are wanting a 2/3 drop, then go with Spindles and Blocks. 2/3 is a very little drop on an S10, they ride pretty high from factory. If you are wanting a heavier spring in the front, grab a set out of a MonteCarlo,Cutlass,Malibu,etc. They have the same front suspension setup as an S10 and most of them came with a V8 from factory. If you still want to go lower then you can trim about 1 full coil off the spring and get a lower stance and a slightly stiffer ride. The spindles will not affect ride quality. In the back there is no such animal as a 'flip kit'...the axle is on top of the leaf spring already. The fullsize trucks are where the flip kit come into play. Again...the blocks will not affect ride quality.
When I lowered my last S10, I used spindles and lowered springs in the front...I wanted it lower yet, so I cut an additional 1.5 coils out of the springs. In the rear I used blocks and leafs. I bought a complete kit from a catalog that came with everything. If you go any lower than 2/3 you will need to replace the factory shocks with shorter units.
I am currently building another S10, but this time around I am going with a complete airbag suspension with a multi-link rear setup. I will be running shocks and swaybars with this setup.
Whatever you decide, good luck.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 02-18-2004, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like good advice. What shocks are you using in your S10, Weimer?

Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Caster & Camber

Drop spindle is the only real way to lower. The geometry will stay the way it was making everything easier to tune. The stiffer spring will accommodate the extra weight of the V-8. A line through the top center of the wheel to the bottom center of the wheel would show the top inward of the bottom. Thus as you move that spindle UP to LOWER the truck, you should re-adjust the caster and camber of the wheel. With the truck moving down to a lower sprung weight the top of the wheels dont need to be as far off center. Rear is fixed. Slam as you will. Shocks. I prefer gas.

hr41pearl

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.