springs for 4 link rear end,size? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2003, 07:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question springs for 4 link rear end,size?

morning members,could anyone help with a bit of info please.i`m thinking of a 4 link back end but spring setup or rate .i need a program or link to judge tension,could anyone put me in the right direction,thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Can you post some more info on the vehicle you are interested in fitting this onto.
The weight of the car would also be a great help in figuring this out.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:30 PM

car type

my car type is a `49 austin,devon.weight in stock form is 950 kg in pounds its approx. 2090 lbs. but when i build her the weight will vary over that. i`m not quite sure as to the final weight of car. as i haven`t decided on running gear as yet but i did a few measurement yesterday and i will have to move the firewall back some 4 inches,so i`ve started i to find as much engine bay room as posible.the car has a full lenght chassis to work with.thanks .
Old 12-20-2003, 02:53 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Slavegear, I am very happy with Carrera Coil overs with my triangulated 4 bar setup. You can determine which spring to use by determining how much weight is on the rear wheels and how much you want the spring to depress. Assuming your car weighs in at 3000#s and 40% is on the rear wheels, then you need to spring for 600#s per wheel. In this case, if you want 2 inches compression, then you would want 300#s springs. ie, the rating on a coil spring is what weight it takes to depress the spring one inch. You then factor in your desired ride height to determine the length of coil over to purchase.

Trees
Old 12-22-2003, 02:33 AM

Thumbs up spring rate

thanks trees,this is the invaluable info a new rodder such as my self needs to find,so when its time to purchase my projects bits and pieces, i should be able to make the correct decision. i have found that your buick regal in the usa has almost the same running gear as the australia holden. the v6,trans and diff are all gm running gear.i have fond a web site in aus. the boys down here are pumping 500 hp+ from them, so this maybe a candidate for my project,thanks once again.later.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

I run a 4 link in my street car, it has 150 lbs./inch Konis out back. 2800 pounds with quite a bit of engine set-back. (2 degree nose down pinion angle)
My Demon had 160 lbs./inch coils with ladder bars. It was 3090 pounds with the stock engine location. (1 degree nose down pinion angle)

Spring rate required is affected by many things.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:52 AM

Smile spring rate

crazy m guy,good to hear techincal info,does your info come from a computer program or a book,etc in other works for someone like me,i`m not sure on setting a chassis/rearend angles up so any books/program willbe good,does your spring/coils have part no.s so i could look them up,thanks. i did have a look under my car today a there is a section under the floor/ rear seat ,where the 4 link rearend will fit nicely,a smaller frame for the diff, small tubbs for rear wheels so already i`m picking up ideas thanks,later.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Slavegear, if you really want to get the spring rate right, you need to find someone with some car scales like a chassis guy thats in your area. After finding out the weight in the rear of the car including you in the seat and gas the unsprung weight needs to be subtracted from that figure, such as differential, wheels and tires and I think you half the weight of the coil over shocks since there hanging. A chassis guy probably already knows these weights fairly close.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.