Spun bearing or bad lifter? He drove it 25 miles home - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2003, 03:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spun bearing or bad lifter? He drove it 25 miles home

A buddy of mine overheated the chevy 350 in his truck. For some reason, he decided to drive all the way home. Someone who heard it as he was leaving said it sounded like he spun a bearing.

But he proceeded to drive 20 miles all the way back home.

So without doing any further investigating, I'm wondering your guess is to what the real problem was...

spun bearing or bad lifter?

No, I don't have any more info than that. It's sitting on the garage floor so starting it up is not an option. We'll be tearing into it later, but I just want a better idea of what's wrong with it.

-Erik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It could be a spun bearing, as I`ve seen so in some cases of overheating, as well as it could be a collapsed piston from the same thing, worst case I ever seen was 2 pistons that had been detonated to death after it ran hot, the result was not a pretty sight, the tops were partially melted and had holes all over, as it continued to hammer it until the pistons just came apart.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:15 PM

Dont rule out a spun bearing just because it was drove home. I was driving my car once and i t just suddenly lost all power. I drove it partway home and it started overheating. I drove it several miles home. When i tore it down, it spun #1 rod bearing.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:03 PM
you talkin to me?

i did the same thing i overheated a fresh motor with 16 miles on it i wiped out the cam and crank and bearings.
it doesnt take much to make a lifter stop spinning and wipe out the cam and the metal from the cam would wipe out the crank and bearings.

tough blow that sucks
Old 12-24-2003, 11:14 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Pull the dipstick and look for metalflake in the oil, then pull the oil filter and cut it apart, metal in the filter and shiny metalflakes in the oil will tell the story! Either of these findings will probably require a total tear-down to inspect for damage! If it had an oil-pressure gauge, what was the pressure at idle and around 2,000??
Old 12-30-2003, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

"Pull the dipstick and look for metalflake in the oil, then pull the oil filter and cut it apart, metal in the filter and shiny metalflakes in the oil will tell the story!"

I'm going away for 2 days, but when I get back, that'll be the first thing I do.

Thanks. Hoping for no flakes somehow Maybe because I'm not in the mood for another tear down...

-Erik
Old 12-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

If it was a main bearing he could have driven it home with some noise. If it was a rod bearing I wouldnt want to though, that piston would be slamming into the head and I would imagine it ripping the the cap off of the rod. THen I could also imagine the rod jamming in front of the crank and stopping the engine in its tracks.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:27 PM
84 Mutt

Last journal entry: Steering column
Last photo:

That sounds sickning
Hope for the best!!!
p.s. this is from over a half a year ago....My bad

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.