Sputtering 350 :( - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 12:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sputtering 350 :(

So about 2 weeks ago I was driving through town and went over a bump and my truck kinda stalled a little bit.....ever since then my throttle response sucks and has been running sluggish I own a 1986 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 any ideas on what it could be? I thought that maybe since I was a lil low on fuel i might have sucked some crap up from the tank so I changed the internal fuel filter in my carburetor but still does it Imma go check spark plugs to see if maybe somehow they may be fouled if there ok Imma check the timing other that that I dont know what it could be wouldnt think the carb needs adjusting since the plugs are still there never been removed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Did you check the float bowl for trash? If there`s trash in the carb it`ll keep on running like crap until it`s flushed out. Trash can get in the small passages to the boosters and idle circuits and when this happens it`s not gonna run right. Check the carb out closer then do all the checks you mentioned. Also check it for vacuum leaks. What shape is the tune up in? If it`s past due I`d add that to the list.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 PM

well i checked the carb its clear i did a full tune up 3 months ago these damed pre gaped spark plugs piss me off lol they were pre gaped to .045 and they are supposed to be .035 its running better it will hold me over until the rebuild in two months ill keep u posted have pistons and rings on order right now and getting ready to order the roller rocker kit any suggestions on what I should buy.. also wanna buy intake and carb so any info on what would be best for lots of low end torque would be nice
Old 10-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerred
went over a bump and my truck kinda stalled a little bit....

Since you said there was a tendency of the motor to want to stall out and hasn't operated well since, I'm going way out on a limb here to suggest that it is an electrical ground problem, not a carb problem.

Clean all the paint and grime off a place on the firewall where you can drill a hole and get to it from the inside of the vehicle. Clean a place on the engine block and on the frame of the vehicle just the same way, down to shiny, clean metal. Count up what length of cable it will take to span from the firewall to the block to the frame. What I usually do is to make 2 cables. One end of cable #1 goes to the firewall, where you run a bolt and nut through the cable end and tighten it down from inside the vehicle. The other end of cable #1 goes to the frame. One end of cable #2 also secures to the frame at the same connection. The other end of cable #2 goes to the engine block. Now, you have tied the body to the frame to the motor. Use RTV to cover the connections front and rear to prevent moisture from oxidizing the connections.

What I usually use for the cables is #4 welding cable from the welding supply store. They have copper ends also to crimp onto the cable. In addition to crimping, solder the ends on and install heat shrink sleeves.

Even if this does not solve your immediate problem, it needs to be done anyway on any old car or truck that you're going to try to resurrect. Nothing works properly without good grounds.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

Is it hard to start? Bad ground would do that, but dirty idle circuit might not, since you're giving it gas and mostly bypassing the idle circuit. Do some basic troubleshooting before tearing carb down or drilling holes. I had the same thing happen on my roadster, pulled up to a light and it suddenly ran like a dog. Turned out to be gasket fiber in idle circuit. Easy fix.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.