Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sputters when turning right from stop
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1347AD
My 79 malibu for whatever reason sputters if I make a right hand turn from a stop. It bucks a little bit then picks back up. It started doing this w/my old carb... I just put a brand new holley 4150hp race series on the car. It's starting to do it now w/this carb. Could this be a float adjustment on the primaries? I haven't changed anything w/the fuel system when the problem started... so I don't see how it could be anything there... I'm frustrated at this point.. any ideas?

Thanks ahead!
I doubt both carbs would have the exact same problem- be it float level or whatever. But a too-high level could slosh fuel into the carb through the vent(s), unregulated. This will cause a bog/stutter/stall. The float level is easily checked, so I would pull the sight plugs and take a look, just to be sure.

Also fuel related- be sure the accelerator pump arm is in contact w/the linkage so there's movement of the pump diaphragm the instant the throttle is moved. Just be sure there's 0.015" clearance between the arm and linkage at WOT.

But if it's fuel related, I'd be rather surprised. I'm thinking electrical/ignition related. Chaffed wire, something rubbing, that sort of thing.