Squaring front and rear end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Squaring front and rear end

I am currently building a frame for my 1926 T coupe. I am just now trying to attach the 4 bar brackets for the front dropped axle. The four bars only have an adjustable end on the front of the bars. The rear of the front bars is fixed (urethane bushed). The adjustable end is a 7 degree urethane bushed end, so can only be adjusted one full turn at a time, meaning you can only adjust length in increments 1/18th of an inch (5/8-18 threads). I want the 4 bars to be the same exact length after installation, so caster and square must be set before attaching the bracket to the frame. I am triangulating the front axle for square from a punch mark on the rear crossmember on the chassis centerline. After tacking the brackets to the frame and remeasuring the triangulation, my two dimensions are different by a little more than 1/32". After getting the front axle in the right place I will then measure back from the king pins to square the rear end to the front axle. So the front axle being square is the key to my whole alignment process.
My question is this. Is my front end close enough as is (1/32" off in the triangulation) or do I need to cut the brackets loose and get the front axle perfect? I know I am probably a little anal in my measuring. This is probably a result of years of working on installing precision equipment (robotics), but being very precise has always worked for me. I guess the question really is what kind of tolerances do you guys work with when squaring front and rear ends? Sorry for the length and hope this makes sense. Thanks for any input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

I meant to attach pictures. Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412 (2).JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	119489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413 (2).JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	119497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1414 (2).JPG
Views:	29
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	119505  
Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

.032 is plenty close. There will be clearance in the bolt holes in the brackets and you can always slot the bolt holes a little bit to get the axle where you want it.
I fixed some brackets years ago for a friend that the bolt holes had worn elongated. Did just enough welding to fill in the holes and then bored new ones.
One trick I am considering on my Model A build is to put some late model "D" washers on the frame plates to allow adjustment. May be something to think about for yours.
Mark
Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw22w View Post
I am currently building a frame for my 1926 T coupe. I am just now trying to attach the 4 bar brackets for the front dropped axle. The four bars only have an adjustable end on the front of the bars. The rear of the front bars is fixed (urethane bushed). The adjustable end is a 7 degree urethane bushed end, so can only be adjusted one full turn at a time, meaning you can only adjust length in increments 1/18th of an inch (5/8-18 threads). I want the 4 bars to be the same exact length after installation, so caster and square must be set before attaching the bracket to the frame. I am triangulating the front axle for square from a punch mark on the rear crossmember on the chassis centerline. After tacking the brackets to the frame and remeasuring the triangulation, my two dimensions are different by a little more than 1/32". After getting the front axle in the right place I will then measure back from the king pins to square the rear end to the front axle. So the front axle being square is the key to my whole alignment process.
My question is this. Is my front end close enough as is (1/32" off in the triangulation) or do I need to cut the brackets loose and get the front axle perfect? I know I am probably a little anal in my measuring. This is probably a result of years of working on installing precision equipment (robotics), but being very precise has always worked for me. I guess the question really is what kind of tolerances do you guys work with when squaring front and rear ends? Sorry for the length and hope this makes sense. Thanks for any input.
Go with it.. there is new cars and trucks that is 1/4'' off and running around..

your close enough not to worry..Sorry but I wouldn't slot ANY mounting holes on any Suspension mounting.. It's not needed..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Go with it.. there is new cars and trucks that is 1/4'' off and running around..

your close enough not to worry..Sorry but I wouldn't slot ANY mounting holes on any Suspension mounting.. It's not needed..
new cars can run around 1/4" of an inch out because they HAVE slots to allow for adjustment. Just sayin'...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Actually Astro they have ZERO alignment on most every car made outside of toe. ZERO, you sometimes can shift a sub frame to rob a few tenths of a degree but not every time. Hardly any car these days has any adjustment at all for camber and caster.

Honestly, they aren't often out a 1/4 but they are out a lot more than the 1/32" we are talking about here. The tolerances on most every late model car is 3mm (about an eighth) and the full framed trucks are 6mm.

Brian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (02-06-2014), techinspector1 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What I do is to scribe a centerline on the floor and then two lines perpindicular to the center line at the center of the axles. I then have a good reference point to check for square as I am building things. Sorry bout the spelling..

Sam
Old 02-06-2014, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
What I do is to scribe a centerline on the floor and then two lines perpindicular to the center line at the center of the axles. I then have a good reference point to check for square as I am building things. Sorry bout the spelling..

Sam
Yes, if the car is complete (body on) this is a very good way to check it. But with just the bare chassis it is much more precise to get direct measurements without all the plumb bobbing.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. I thought that the front axle was probably close enough. I just wanted to hear someone else say it.
The amount of expertise available on this board is simply amazing.
Thanks again. Now it is on to setting up the rear end!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
new cars can run around 1/4" of an inch out because they HAVE slots to allow for adjustment. Just sayin'...
Well this is the last custom frame I built... And not one slot had to be made into the frame for suspension adjustment.. NONE... The bars has all the adjustment they need on them WHEN you set EVERYTHING the way it should be done from the start.. When you add slot's to any suspension mounting points your asking for trouble.. You should have a hole and a bolt.. NO SLOT'S NEEDED.. Sorry but that's the right way to build a frame from the start..

Like I said.. This was the last one I built..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	103_6345.JPG
Views:	1985
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	119769   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6367.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	119777   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6500.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	119785   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6509.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	119793   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6441.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	119801  

Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 AM

Yes SIR! You are the man!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Well this is the last custom frame I built... And not one slot had to be made into the frame for suspension adjustment.. NONE... The bars has all the adjustment they need on them WHEN you set EVERYTHING the way it should be done from the start.. When you add slot's to any suspension mounting points your asking for trouble.. You should have a hole and a bolt.. NO SLOT'S NEEDED.. Sorry but that's the right way to build a frame from the start..

Like I said.. This was the last one I built..

Wow, I forgot how far back the engine sits on these. ....Next, mid-engine?

Love the color.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchman For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:52 AM

Last photo:

The frame in question is not my first build. I built this one a year ago. It is also 4 bar front and rear. This one had infinitely adjustable bars. This is the reason for my confusion. The new one does not have infinitely adjustable bars, only adjustable in 1/18" increments. The incremental adjustment is what had me confused.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1087 (2).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	119857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1120 (2).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	119865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131 (2).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	119873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1315 (2).JPG
Views:	1777
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	119881  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
Yes SIR! You are the man!
Has nothing to do with me being the man !!!! Just telling people the truth about how it should really be done.. Everyone has different ways of doing different things,, But slotting your mounting holes on suspension parts isn't the way you want to go.. If you do so,, Your asking for movement you really won't want down the road.. Sorry if you don't understand why..
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw22w View Post
The frame in question is not my first build. I built this one a year ago. It is also 4 bar front and rear. This one had infinitely adjustable bars. This is the reason for my confusion. The new one does not have infinitely adjustable bars, only adjustable in 1/18" increments. The incremental adjustment is what had me confused.
You just want to make sure when setting it up at ride height, it's as close as you can get it.. With adjustment both ways.. Then you should be ok..Good luck.. And sorry for taking this this far,, But people need to know..

Very nice car by the way...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.