Hot Rod Forum banner

Squealing brakes!

920 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  S10xGN 
#1 ·
The shop got in a mid nineties Oldsmobile this morning. Complaint was squealing brakes.

Upon inspection... The left front had no brake pads or steel pad backing left. The rotor was running against the outer caliper mount and directly against the caliper piston. Which had been friction welding/torn off the complete inner rotor face and the piston cocked and almost out of its bore.:spank:

The right front also had no brake pads and the pad steel backings were worn to less than .010 thick.. Rotor surface looked like a plowed field..:pain:

They had just came in from I-75.

A real safe car for freeway driving,, right?:thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow... the only one I've seen worse than that had the entire disc cut from the hub. The inside face was worn completely off, and the caliper piston was riding on the cooling vanes, and somehow the outer pad had cut through the outer face, allowing the entire disc to break free from the hub. It was on display on the front counter of a shop where I was having some work done. I think they said that the customer was complaining of strange noises from the front end, and the car pulled to the side when applying the brakes. Duh!

#3 ·
here's another one

about 15 yrs ago a simi co-worker asked me to look at the noisey brakes. rotors were shot, i could see through the wheels. told him brake job needed.. i just put new pads on he said.. well do it again and this time put new rotors on... Oh by the way he says, about how many miles per oil change??? around 3k for me, why ??? i got 30,000 on mine so i guess i'm over due...
as we walked away i told him not to work on his car anymore, take it to the 10 yr old down the st that works on his go cart, he knows more the you..

#5 ·
It's truly amazing how completely lacking some people are in common sense. Reminds me of my wife's nephew, got a PhD in medicine and wouldn't know a screwdriver from a hammer...

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.