Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Squeezing a little more power out of my 454
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks very much for your reply. As to the cam, this is what it recommends (copied and pasted off the Jegs site)

249-11-250-3
Xtreme Energy XE284H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Only
Lift: .574''/.578''
Duration: 284/296
RPM Range: 2300-6500

*Note: In order to use these camshafts in 1965-66 396/427ci blocks, it is necessary to machine a 3/16'' wide x 7/64'' deep groove in the rear main journal of the cam to allow oil flow to the top of the engine.

Street/Strip, 2800+ stall, rough idle, 9.5:1 compression.

Yes the pistons are stock. When I had bought the cam, I had also planned on changing the pistons out as well to bump compression slightly. But when I bought the motor to the builder to be gone through, he told me that an overbore was not needed, and the stock pistons were pratically new. The motor was pulled from a wrecked 87? Suburban that literally had less than 40k miles on it when wrecked. He said changing the pistons was totally not necessary, and if I wanted to it would only be for performance purposes. I chose to just put the stock ones back in.

When I guess my compression at 8.75:1, it it pretty much a total guess. I had heard that closed chamber heads were good for bumping compression some, but I don't know for how much.

Thanks very much for your reply, and I will check back in tonight after I get some sleep (just got off a 12 hour graveyard shift).

Thanks again

Rob