Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Squeezing a little more power out of my 454
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine

I'll give my take on it, you might not want to here it tho...

The rectangle port heads are a killer to any heavy street driver car... They just have such a large cross section in the intake runners they make the car lazy..... Then you have way to much cam for you static compression, this to will make a heavy car lazy.....

I am not sure what your after performance wise????

The first thing i would do is a cranking cylinder PSI test... Let us know what you find..... You really need a mininum of 165 or so to get the performance your after....

I'll tell you that you are real close on your set up but the things that you are off on will really effect performance.

As far as i know all big blocks had forged pistons. So you will be ok with a 100/150 shot of the juice....Big blocks are stout pieces and with a good tune you could get away with a 250 shot if you had it dialed it correct.....

I just fixed a 454 for customers 68 nova. He bought a crate 454 from gm and the thing was a total stone. The car has 4:11's and at a 15 mph float you would crack it and the tires would not spinn..... I bumped the compression up to 9:8:1 removed the rectangle ports and add the performer rpm ovals and a tick bigger cam. Now the car just goes up in smoke at anything under 25 mph.......

Keith