Squirrel cage fan for NEGATIVE pressure??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

When we design clean rooms we put those under positive pressure for the reason that if there are any leaks then the dust is blown out instead of being sucked in as it would be in a negative pressure situation. All you will need is a small furnace and just mount it up in the rafters out of the way and just run it on summerfan setting. Only time I have ever used a negative flow is in a dust hood similar to a kitchen exhaust hood for dust and fume extraction purposes such as over a welding bench in a factory..

You may wish to put some sort of damper on the fan as those things blow a lot of air and you may need to cut the flow of air somewhat..

Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am going to delete this and shut up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

Nah Craig...I enjoy your knowledge of homemade booths. I think push is a good idea because it doesn't require an explosion proof fan. And that it will push dust out. The problem is for me personally, I will be doing grinding and sanding inside this booth. It WILL have loose particles and I don't think a large stream of air will be good for that even if it is tapered off somehow. I am making a mobile paint booth in a 6x12 trailer. I will only be shooting small items. And the booth is more for overspray control and staying warm in the winter (heat lamp) than keeping junk out of clear. While I'm sure a pressure booth is great, my application leans to pull. Thanks for helping out Craig.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks to you as well one more time
Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

cfm is cfm, the thing that stirs up dust is velocity.
getting rid of velocity is as easy as putting a baffle or a plenum in front of a fan.
that's how the big boys do it
Old 10-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Just food for thought. Since you are mounting this on a trailer, you may want to look at these.
Air Vent Inc. 24" Whole House Fan 54301 Attic & Whole House Fans - Amazon.com Air Vent Inc. 24" Whole House Fan 54301 Attic & Whole House Fans - Amazon.com
They still have the belt drive with the motor off to the side. We actually used one similar when we built my dad's booth. I have a squirrel cage in mine, but if it ever gives out on me I will replace it with one of these. We mounted the fan on the outside of the booth, pulling air from inside the booth. Mounted the shutter on the inside so it basically seals itself when not in use, then pulls the shutter open when turned on. Most are 2 speed. My dad's booth measures 24'x26' and he usually runs the fan on low when painting, high speed almost pulls too much, so you may have to slow it down a little for your application.

Kelly
Old 10-20-2013, 12:24 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm1847 View Post
It's a small booth, 6 ft high, 6 ft wide, and 12 ft long. To have that much air blowing in, in my opinion, would cause dust to stir. From my thoughts, it has very little room to dissipate the draft. I have been in a negative pressure booth this same size. Seemed to work pretty good. Sam, I'd be glad to know your opinion on this matter if you have a different idea. Thanks
Negative pressure is best if you are spraying paint. Like you said much less turbulence. Put in a block of furnace filters (2or 3) at the opposite end of the room. I like to stack them from floor to ceiling to get good flow. I spray the filters with Aquanet hair spray to pick up the little stuff that might get drawn through them.
Mark
Old 10-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Oh boy, will a squirrel cage fan make negative pressure. Mine is an old furnace fan, sucks the walls clear in on my 'booth.' My fan is mounted to a pulley, which is driven by a belt driven from a pulley mounted to the shaft of the motor. And contrary to what's been stated, mine runs just fine, I run it for HOURS, the old body guy I got the set up from ran it for HOURS too. I built a wooden enclosure that goes around the motor to protect it from overspray. I'm not worried about the fumes because this set up changes the air out completely every few minutes. If the room starts to get kind of foggy, stopping for a few minutes clears it.

The back of my booth is a large sliding door. I built a wooden insert to go in the opening and the door closes up against it. The insert has a hole in it cut for the 8" ducting from the fan, which goes out the hole and blows outside, as you can see in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	516.3 KB
ID:	91033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	691.2 KB
ID:	91041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2886.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	512.8 KB
ID:	91057  
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 AM

Last photo:

We have an old....literally found on side of the rd...sq cage.Have had several and this one is nice because it's a sm one.

It's the kind with the motor riding piggyback on top....belt drive.Made a sheet metal sq to round transition of sorts that allows us to run 24x24 filters.

We have it hung in our cabinet shop as an ambient air scrubber.It's designed "racetrack" style.Meaning,the air is in a circular flow pattern around perimeter of space.vs a center pull(or whatever its called).Anyway theres another non filter'd fan at the other end.....and round N round she goes.

Posted to say,this thing runs non-stop some days,all day long.Hung from ceiling framing with dog chain,instead of direct bolt up.It's pretty quiet,and moves a boatload of air.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
Just a question..Why negative pressure..why not positive pressure on the booth..??

Sam
Because positive pressure means you will draw dirty air in, even if the intake is filtered, and a fine enough filter will restrict air intake. It's a lot easier to create negative draw and not pull in outside contaminants.

On the original squirrel cage fan question. How well it works depends on the fan size, and the housing the fan comes with. I've seen large squirrel cage fans that flowed a lot of air with a properly shaped housing, and others that had too loose a tolerance and didn't flow much.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.