SS Braded Radiator Hose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 09:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SS Braded Radiator Hose

Getting parts in line to finish up my 502 BB install my 65 Vette. For some reason I can't find a High quality SS Braided Hose 1 3/4 " (Inside Diameter) Lower hose on the shelf. I did find the top hose 1 1/2" Diameter by earls. They also make the 1 3/4 " diameter but it has a 4 week order time. Anyone know of another Mfg making high quality SS braided hose tha I can use on the rad....

I don't want to use the Spectre stuff as it is not the same quality

Also..Painless just came out with a new remote battery latching type master disconnect switch (30206). This is a Touch switch on ....and Touch Off. I know some else makes one that is heaver but I can't remember who. Any one know?
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 12:41 PM

I have a 65 BB Corvette.
That lower hose is gonna be tough to find.
What radiator are you gonna use?
Do you have the BB hood, rear, and exhaust?

I thought I read somewhere that SS hoses hold heat more and decrease cooling efficiency. Believe me heat is gonna be an issue!!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiros
I have a 65 BB Corvette.
That lower hose is gonna be tough to find.
What radiator are you gonna use?
Do you have the BB hood, rear, and exhaust?

I thought I read somewhere that SS hoses hold heat more and decrease cooling efficiency. Believe me heat is gonna be an issue!!
The Hose is available thru Spectre but there stuff as I said is sub par. The Earls SS Braided Hose is top shelf and works great as I have them on my 86 Supercharged Vette.

The 65 has a BB hood and has been readied for the BB 502 . I'm using the Dewitt's BB Rad with the dual Spa fans and Sweet Thunder 2 1/4 " internal Baffle's side pipes anlog with Custom Sanderson Shorty Headers made for the ZZ502 Delux..Model #BB-5.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

you may want to try Cool-Flex. it`s popular with the street rod crowd. you can shape it the way you want it. it also reduces some of the heat due to it`s copper (chromed) & the ribbed design.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFORD
you may want to try Cool-Flex. it`s popular with the street rod crowd. you can shape it the way you want it. it also reduces some of the heat due to it`s copper (chromed) & the ribbed design.
Thanks Fast Ford...(Nice Car ) ..

Not a big fan of that large Ribbed look. I'm more of a Braided SS man. The rest of the lines under the hood are all Braided SS. I do have a Cool Flex Bypass hose 5 1/4 " long Though...
Old 06-07-2005, 09:51 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

how about aeroquip and their hose? they make VERY good quality hose and its what we use on aircraft, and some of my friends use it on their race cars.

-Leo-
Old 06-07-2005, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

There is a very simple fix for this. You can use the larger hose, you just need the rubber spacers to make up the difference. That is exactly how the Cool Flex hose is installed. I have run it on a few engines, they work fine. I will check in my garage and if I have an extra set of spacers I will be happy to send them to you (free). They slip over the water pump outlet and the lower radiator outlet, you then slip your hose over them and tighten them up. They don't leak or effect anything. You will not know they are even there.

Royce
Old 06-08-2005, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Nut
how about aeroquip and their hose? they make VERY good quality hose and its what we use on aircraft, and some of my friends use it on their race cars.

-Leo-

Heh Leo Tanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered Earl's Hose. The 1 1/2 ID was in stock. The 1 3/4 is backordered...about 2 weeks. I don't need them now but will in about 2-3 weeks.

I don't think they stocked the Aeroquiop hose in that large a size.

But that was a good call Thanks..

Mark
Old 06-08-2005, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d
There is a very simple fix for this. You can use the larger hose, you just need the rubber spacers to make up the difference. That is exactly how the Cool Flex hose is installed. I have run it on a few engines, they work fine. I will check in my garage and if I have an extra set of spacers I will be happy to send them to you (free). They slip over the water pump outlet and the lower radiator outlet, you then slip your hose over them and tighten them up. They don't leak or effect anything. You will not know they are even there.

Royce
Heh Royce,
Thanks for the kind offer on the spacers. My plan is to use the Pi-Thon 360* hex hose clamps with the SS Braided line. Here's the link..I am using their 5/8" and 3/4 " Hex clamps on my heater hose..They look excellent and are made very well.

http://www.pi-thon.com/hexlocks.htm

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion ...great forum and people
Old 06-08-2005, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

I'm glad you got it figured out. Those are very nice looking hose ends. Be sure to post some pictured after you get them installed.

Royce
Old 06-08-2005, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d
I'm glad you got it figured out. Those are very nice looking hose ends. Be sure to post some pictured after you get them installed.

Royce

Thanks.....Will Do

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.