ST-10 Hurst Shifter jamming - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ST-10 Hurst Shifter jamming

Hey All,

Been having some problems with my shifter lately and hoped that someone can help shed some light on it, or confirm my suspicions.

First off, the car in question:
1978 Pontiac Trans Am
Pontiac 400
BW ST-10 4spd manual (rebuilt myself a couple years ago)
Centerforce dual-friction clutch
4.10 posi rear

The shifter in question is a Hurst Competition/Plus shifter of the stock replacement variety (so that it can be used with the original console) that has no more than 4,000 miles on it. During normal, everyday driving it works fine (normal shift pattern is 1-3-4 cause of the axle gears) - rattles a bit, but otherwise fine, but I've started taking it to the track lately (twice, so far) and each time I've had some sort of problems.

The problem is that the shifter sometimes jams on the 2-3 shift, right when it changes which lever it's actuating. The handle gets jammed so that it looks like it's in neutral, but you cannot move the lever an appreciable amount - which causes the transmission to be stuck in 2nd gear. Now to fix this after it happens requires getting under the car and flipping the 1-2 trans lever back to the neutral position - which will free up the shifter and everything will be golden again. So far I've only made 10 trips down the 1/4, but I've had this problem happen 2 times - almost 3 times.

Sometime in the near-term I'm gonna give it a twice-over to see what I can do about it - check the transmission shift levers, re-check alignment, check spring clips/bushings, etc, but has anyone else experienced something like this before, or maybe know something else I might need to check? I'm also wondering if having the shifter mounting bolts torqued in/correctly might be a factor? There isn't enough room in the tunnel to get a torque wrench up there, so I had torqued the bolts as hard as I could get 'em with a wrench. I safety-wired the bolts, so I know they haven't backed-out (had that happen once before, which is why they're safety-wired now), but I don't know if 10 or 20 ft/lbs of torque would make that much of a difference.

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Jammed shifter

Should be a simple fix - take the shift rods off the arms and make sure that the bushings are in good shape and that each shift rod just slides into the bushing when in neutral. There should be a hole in each arm(on the base of the shifter that the rods connect to) that you can put a welding rod thru (all three shift arms at one time)to make sure that everything is in alignment, this ensures that there will be no binding on the shift.
Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.