Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - stained concrete
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 06:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Muratic Acid.... OOoooooooo

muriatic acid

Muriatic \Mu`ri*at"ic\, a. [L. muriaticus pickled, from muria brine: cf. F. muriatique.] (Chem.) Of, pertaining to, or obtained from, sea salt, or from chlorine, one of the constituents of sea salt; hydrochloric.

Muriatic acid, hydrochloric acid, HCl; -- formerly called also marine acid, and spirit of salt. See hydrochloric, and the Note under Muriate.

Oyl Staynes

Firstly as your Lord and Saviour, my deer Children.. Ceement is a nasty Alkali...

Acid ruins Ceement.

What works good on cleaning Ceement is the application of another alkali - to etch out the oil and not ruin the ceement.

I use about 250 grams or 1/2 lb (for the backward Emerikens) of sodium bi-carbonate - and I usually toss in a good heaped spoonfull of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and I mix it into a watery kind of pancake mix then I pour /paint it on to the stains and then I let it sit......

I then re-apply water to the painted on patches of drying out mix..... and I rescrub, and I repeat this process several times daily over a few days to a week....

This emulsifies and leeches out the oil that has penetrated into the concrete.

Just keep your critters from walking across it...... and then when your happy with the result... hose (low pressure) and scrub away the mix.....

A second reapplication may be necessary for cosmentic reasons... but aside from that...

It's pretty thorough and it works good and there are no fumes or deadly (flamable) vapors....

*depending upon the size and amounts of oyl staynes, (good for about about ~1m2 or 4 - 8 square feet )