stained concrete - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 02:01 PM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

somewhat overkill, but since I do my own painting I always have plenty of PPG DX-330 grease remover around, that stuff cleans just about anything under the sun. it's especially effective for motorcycle chain wax, which can be a B..... to get off otherwise.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 02:32 PM

Oil Stain

Auto Zone sells a drip pan that just about covers a 3X4 area.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:39 PM

Last journal entry: As of about 4/2004
Last photo:

I use oil-dry from any auto parts store, or kitty litter works good too, only for the initial, really wet spills. I use gasoline and some rags after that. Like Willy's says, if you've got a natural gas, propane, or fuel oil water heater, be sure to have the garage door open to prevent those not wanted explosions.

If you want it really clean, use muratic acid, but it will etch the concrete and your feet, hands, and lungs. You'd need knee boots, rubber gloves (thick) and a respirator for this stuff.

I just leave mine alone til it bothers me a bit. I figure it is just going to get dirty again and I don't need a yuppie type pretty garage floor anyway.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
OLDS Guy

Thumbs up

I've used trisodium phosphate to remove just about everything from concrete, including rust stains from washing an old car. It's available in hardware stores and isn't nearly as dangerous as muriatic acid, kerosine or gasoline.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:03 PM

Last journal entry: The 1941 Olds Project
Last photo:

Where are the stories about using Coca-Cola (Pepsi won't work) and laundry detergent?? Perhaps check the forums on Good Housekeeping. LOL
So far the cheap solvents and cheap kitty litter work for me.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM

Oyl Staynes

Firstly as your Lord and Saviour, my deer Children.. Ceement is a nasty Alkali...

Acid ruins Ceement.

What works good on cleaning Ceement is the application of another alkali - to etch out the oil and not ruin the ceement.

I use about 250 grams or 1/2 lb (for the backward Emerikens) of sodium bi-carbonate - and I usually toss in a good heaped spoonfull of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and I mix it into a watery kind of pancake mix then I pour /paint it on to the stains and then I let it sit......

I then re-apply water to the painted on patches of drying out mix..... and I rescrub, and I repeat this process several times daily over a few days to a week....

This emulsifies and leeches out the oil that has penetrated into the concrete.

Just keep your critters from walking across it...... and then when your happy with the result... hose (low pressure) and scrub away the mix.....

A second reapplication may be necessary for cosmentic reasons... but aside from that...

It's pretty thorough and it works good and there are no fumes or deadly (flamable) vapors....

*depending upon the size and amounts of oyl staynes, (good for about about ~1m2 or 4 - 8 square feet )
Old 07-28-2004, 10:34 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by crazy larry
Kitty litter and do the twist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubz
that's what i do, pulls most stains decent
Pulled every stain I make using the Twist method. Works wonders.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:13 PM

You guys have all missed the boat Martha Stewart will have the answer in f FIVE MONTHS Stay tuned for her report.....DAVE
Old 07-30-2004, 06:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubz
that's what i do, pulls most stains decent
I will third that, bad stains twist and turn and then I sweep up and return the used stuff to a seperate barrel and reuse till saturated and start the new stufff goes a long way, I sure get upset when my boy doesn't have the time to do the same when he finishes working on his truck. I have used some blue cleaner from work that is the same as Castroil blue cleaner and it works good with some scrubbing but more costly. Ed ke6bnl
Old 08-01-2004, 12:54 PM

Post Stained Concrete

I usually pressure wash it.

brianlarkin1993
Old 08-03-2004, 08:25 PM

89 octane and laundry detergent.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Ditto - kitty litter and the twist.

Try WD-40 for stubborn spots. It works!

Ed. www.edgesz28.com

Old 08-10-2004, 11:16 PM

oil on garge floor

Muratic acid will clean just about anything but be sure you wear gloves andwhen ya wash it off you have to dilute the water with vinegar to stop then acid process form keep on going and it will make the concrete whiter than the rest so make a clean sweep over the whol floor so it's uniform ya know not safe for inside the city so don't get caught using this product or it will be a haevy fine but it will cleann anything you got and the bubbles is it working on the oil and also eating thre top layer of concrete if not carefull!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:56 AM

Muratic Acid.... OOoooooooo

muriatic acid

Muriatic \Mu`ri*at"ic\, a. [L. muriaticus pickled, from muria brine: cf. F. muriatique.] (Chem.) Of, pertaining to, or obtained from, sea salt, or from chlorine, one of the constituents of sea salt; hydrochloric.

Muriatic acid, hydrochloric acid, HCl; -- formerly called also marine acid, and spirit of salt. See hydrochloric, and the Note under Muriate.

Oyl Staynes

Firstly as your Lord and Saviour, my deer Children.. Ceement is a nasty Alkali...

Acid ruins Ceement.

What works good on cleaning Ceement is the application of another alkali - to etch out the oil and not ruin the ceement.

I use about 250 grams or 1/2 lb (for the backward Emerikens) of sodium bi-carbonate - and I usually toss in a good heaped spoonfull of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and I mix it into a watery kind of pancake mix then I pour /paint it on to the stains and then I let it sit......

I then re-apply water to the painted on patches of drying out mix..... and I rescrub, and I repeat this process several times daily over a few days to a week....

This emulsifies and leeches out the oil that has penetrated into the concrete.

Just keep your critters from walking across it...... and then when your happy with the result... hose (low pressure) and scrub away the mix.....

A second reapplication may be necessary for cosmentic reasons... but aside from that...

It's pretty thorough and it works good and there are no fumes or deadly (flamable) vapors....

*depending upon the size and amounts of oyl staynes, (good for about about ~1m2 or 4 - 8 square feet )
Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM

Last journal entry: Adolessent J.R.
Last photo:

Oil from C-Ment

Hot Soapy Water & Bleach ! [ If Cat litter don't work - after crushing it in with your feet, with moderet pressure - : over & over!] ( The bigger lumps of litter work better.)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.