Stainless Steel compressor tank and lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stainless Steel compressor tank and lines

This is just an idea so far for the fact i "might" have access to a brand new 80 gallon 308L stainless tank 3/16" thick and a bunch of 3/4" 308L pipe...it was a project that was ditched at a nuclear power plant and now collecting dust in a warehouse...i may be able to get it all for a cheap price on what they call"recovery" items..in other words sell it cheap to anyone working the plant.

I always wondered why high end compressors were not made of stainless,you'd never have to worry about it rusting out in due time like most do.

Anyone know the reasoning behind it?..other than the cost would be alot higher because stainless is so pricy.

Just wondering if there is an engineering reason behind it,like maybe because they think the stainless wouldn't "flex" as much as mild steel and possible cracking?..i'm just geussing here...
But i have seen numerous numbers of high pressure and high heat pressure vessels made of stainless in plants and no problems with pressure on those.

And yea..i know about it not being advisable to weld on pressure vessels unless you absolutely KNOW what you are doing,any welding done will be by me using the TIG process and i've been professionaly welding and fabricating for well over 30 years,so the welds will be top notch when done.

I have a nice Ingersol Rand compressor,but when my buddy showed me the tanks and stainless plumming a light bulb popped over my head..

I'm thinking a brand new 2 stage compressor pump and matching 220v motor,weld a stand on it for the pump and motor,and drill n weld in a few fittings and i'll have a compressor that will last a lifetime.

I would also use the 3/4" pipe to route through a shop and never have to worry about it having rust contaminates in it eventualy,be real nice for painting.

I'd like some opinions and really like to hear oldred's opinion too since he is really knowledgable in this area.

Lets hear(read) em...........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Over kill, but if it's cheap, then go for it.

Trees
Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

ss tank

wonder'n if the tk has a stamp on the working pressure it's been ck'd for ???? if there is not pressure rating u may want to get that done.. for safety sake... it shouldn't be a problem but to feel better afterwards... hydro test it mainly after u have added any weld on fittings..
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

IMO there are three contaminates to worry about when painting. Water, oir, and particulates. Stainless will work great for reducing particulates, but that is the easiest comtaminate to remove with air filters. I think that if its cheap enough, then it will work as good as copper for air lines, but it will be more crush resistant.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
I always wondered why high end compressors were not made of stainless,........

That's easy.....COST!!!

Jump on that thing before someone else does, you have come across a real jewel don't let it get away!!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Thanks,thats what i figured why,is the high cost of stainless.

I'll be startin the procedures come tuesday to get it,but i don't expect to get a price/answer untill the end of october,we are in Pre-Outage right now preparing for a refuel outage september 18th and it's high priority and no one will have the time to go through the process untill after the outage.

One thing have always noticed about stainless tanks and pipe is it sweats alot more than steel,so i'm thinking it'll also make a much better water remover in the lines too
Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
One thing have always noticed about stainless tanks and pipe is it sweats alot more than steel,so i'm thinking it'll also make a much better water remover in the lines too

Well actually steel does not "sweat", it only collects water from the air if it is cooler than the surrounding air so in that respect stainless is no different than any other steel. Stainless may have better heat dissipation properties than regular carbon steel, really haven't thought about it, but once it has cooled to the ambient air temperature it will collect no more water than any other metal including copper, bedsides if it does have better cooling properties (radiates heat more efficiently) that's a plus!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Well actually steel does not "sweat", it only collects water from the air if it is cooler than the surrounding air so in that respect stainless is no different than any other steel. Stainless may have better heat dissipation properties than regular carbon steel, really haven't thought about it, but once it has cooled to the ambient air temperature it will collect no more water than any other metal including copper, bedsides if it does have better cooling properties (radiates heat more efficiently) that's a plus!
My thoughts exactly..

I think the reason i see more sweat on stainless pipe is because stainless doesn't transfer heat too well,so it stays alot cooler than mild steel.

It takes alot less amperage/heat to weld it because of this,alot less heat sink because it won't transfer the heat away from the weld easily and rapidly.

But then on the other side of it,stainless takes alot longer to cool down because it will hold the heat longer once its hot..lol

I'm just having some "brain farts" here but it all doesn't really matter because i'll be adding filter and dryers

So i think it'll make for some good air lines because they will cool the air more rapidly through the lines,but,any which way i'll adding filters and a good dryer for painting
Old 09-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Your thoughts are right as it turns out, I reseached and found this.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...ity-d_429.html

So iron pipe would be three times better than stainless for the air lines, but copper is way better than anything.

A desiccant air dryer will do the job, but the more moisture you can get out before it gets to the air dryer, then the less often you will have to service it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.