stall converter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 03:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

stall converter

is a 2200-2800 stall converter street friendly. in other words is is able to be street driven on a daily basis.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

UMM......Yes
Old 10-11-2004, 04:01 PM

would i need a tranny cooler?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by adam15425
would i need a tranny cooler?
This would be a good idea with all automatic transmissions.

Yes, get an auxiliary trans cooler!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Also a good idea is a larger capacity tranny pan.

Chris
Old 10-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Get one of those coolers that have the radiator type tubes and fins.

The type with the 5/16" to 3/8" aluminum tubes suck.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:54 PM

which brand cooler do u recommend?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

B&M coolers are cheap and work well.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:52 AM

Converter stall speeds

Most stock converters have a stall speed of 1,800 to 2,000 rpm. The higher stall speed your converter has should not be a problem on a daily driven vehicle. You didn't say what kind of transmission you have but if it is an overdrive unit like a 700R4 and you are running a relatively high (low numerical) rear end ratio you could run into some problems. For example, I am running a 2,600 rpm stall converter in my street rod with a 700R4 tranny. With my final drive ratio and tire size, at 70 mph my engine is only turning 2,100 rpm so I am still in the stall range of the converter. However, I also have a lock-up converter in the car so it is locked up and not slipping like it would be without the lockup. In fact, if I didn't have a lockup converter I would probably have to go 90 mph before I was out of the stall speed of the converter.

Constantly being in the stall speed of the converter will overheat your transmission which will substantially lower the life of the transmission. So a cooler is a must. The B&M coolers are very efficient and nearly indestructible. It is critical that the cooler be where air can freely flow through it and not buried somewhere in the chassis. Additionally, it can be a good idea to get a cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan on it. The reason for this is when you are driving at low speeds, like through town, your car is not moving fast enough to get an adequate flow of air through the cooler. And this is when you need it most because town driving with a high stall converter is when it will tend to heat up quicker. I also highly recommend a trans temp gauge. B&M has those also. Your trans temp should run in the 160 to 180 degree range for maximum trans life. Most hot rods and street machines do not have trans temp gauges and I would bet that 90% of them are running too hot and then the guy wonders why he only got 20,000 miles out of his tranny.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

Hmm, Jim Davis. You wouldn't have any affilation with a company that makes manifolds would you?

Chris
Old 10-12-2004, 02:23 PM

One and the same....

Yep, that's me. Also previously with B&M for 18 years.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

I figured with the detailed B&M description, that it must be the same person. I learned along time ago its not what you know in our industry, it is who you know.

Chris Straub
Stef's Performance
B&B Performance
Old 10-12-2004, 03:50 PM

my tranny is a Monster Motorsports Mega Monster TH350 i got 3.37's in the rear
Old 10-12-2004, 04:18 PM

Tire size also enters into the equation. But 3.37's are a pretty high ratio. A 350 is not an overdrive tranny but with 3.37's and assuming you have a decent size tire, you could be in trouble with a 2,800 rpm stall converter. My "dream wheel" as we used to call them, is at home. It is a circular calculator that you can set your engine final drive ratio, tire size, and rpm and it would tell you how fast you will be going. Isky used to sell them. Maybe they still do. If you are good at math you can figure it out by yourself. As a very, very rough guess....and I could be off...I am thinking that you will have to be going at least 60 before your converter gets out of the stall speed range. And not knowing your tire size....for sure that is just a guess.

On my '33 Ford, I am running a 3.90 rear but with a 70% TH-700 overdrive, which would be the same as a 2.73 rear. But I also have really big tires....32" which is the same as running a higher ratio (lower numerically) rear. As I said before, with that combination I am turning 2,100 rpm at 70 mph. With smaller tires, and a lower gear ratio your engine will be turning a lot faster....good for a high stall converter....bad for fuel economy.

If you do go with a higher stall converter, just make sure you have a big trans cooler (preferably with a fan as suggested earlier) along with a trans temp gauge so you know if you are getting too hot and can pull over and let it cool down.

Special note to Chris: Who you know is good. But what you know also helps a lot too.

I just remembered that GM made a lock-up convernter for 350's. Whether B&M, or anyone else for that matter, makes a high stall version of this converter, I don't know. You might call B&M and ask them. A lockup converter is frankly the way to go if you can.

When I first built my current street rod, I burnt the tranny up in the first year because 99% of my driving was in the stall speed range of the converter. So when I had the trans rebuilt, I had B&M make me a stall speed lockup converter. B&M also has a device that you can use to control the point where the converter locks up. I have mine set to lock up at 40 mph. That was nine years ago and I haven't had a problem since.

Last edited by jimdavis; 10-12-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:34 PM

well i will probably be doing a lot of stop and go driving also some streets around where i live have 25 or 35 mph speed limits and i must follw them (i have already gotten a few speeding tickets) so do u think a stall converter is even the way to go? i mean i just want my s-10 to be able to shut the mouths of some of the camaros & 5.0's around here that think they're the ****

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.